If I tire of color, there is plenty of green......

While I was walking around the yard taking pictures of the blooming trees, I also checked on my Mayapples. I have a nice patch of this wildflower growing under the trees along the "creek" a.k.a drainage ditch. They grow together with some violets and a bunch of Surprise Lilies. The Mayapples are just beginning to get their flower buds.
I wish that our creek had water all the time, but being just a drainage ditch in reality it will dry up when the rainy season is over and summer gets here. I saw a cardinal drinking the water, so I know the birds would like it to stay wet all the time, too. This creek runs right behind the ranks of Forsythia bushes where they like to nest and hide.



When we have storms the water really rages in this ditch and has eroded the earth around a lot of the trees roots. I wonder sometimes what keeps them all from crashing down into our yard like the Redbud I posted! I like the way this tree had a hole to look through and it made me think of Alice in Wonderland :-)


I don't know what these plants and mosses are, but I like them. I like the wild green look of the creek area after all the colorful trees in the yard.

The Lily of the Valley are beginning to unfurl next to the garage. Their "rolled up" look was interesting :-)
2 comments:
It's wonderful to see all that new greenery coming up. I like your stream, even if it is only part time. Sometimes when it's year around, I think it would be nice just to hear the quiet, but the stream in my backyard is always there. No shut off switch! I like the little Alice in Wonderland hole, too.
Sandpiper: It was fun photographing something other then my feeder birds and my blooming trees. The Mayapples are difficult to photograh the flower, but when they bloom, I will be laying on the ground trying, I'm sure :-)
Post a Comment