
Saucer Magnolias and Bradford Pears are the first 2 trees to blossom here in the spring. I saw this lovely tree about a block from my in-law's house and had to stop for a picture! It was so beautiful and full of flowers. They bloom so early that they often get caught by late freezing spells and the buds freeze un-opened. It looks like this was a good year for them to beat the odds and get to bloom!


With that "evil eye" stare, I don't think anyone will have the nerve to try to take the suet away from him! This Mockingbird must have been real hungry, because he dug in like he hadn't eaten in days.
He was thirsty, too!
This pair just turned their backs on him and kept eating......at a distance.


14 comments:
Just look at that Mockingbird's eye, so sharp and up close! I really like bird portraits that seem to give you a sense of a close encounter experience about them. The blossoms are very beautiful!! We love gardening and I am eager to have blossoms to post.
Me and My Camera: Good morning! We haven't shared "tea and comments" for awhile :-) The Mockingbird always seems to have a slightly sinister looking personality to me..he stares right at me and that eye is so piercing. I'm glad others are good gardeners, because I just sort of stick stuff in the ground and hope for the best....but I can photograph what others do.
I enjoyed your magnolia shots, especially the second one. I'm glad you liked the sunflower shot I posted today, the bee does add interest.
John: Thanks! The magnolias always look so beautiful...nice shape and fully flowered at this time of year.
magnolia! how wonderful! Its a must have for my garden, just cant decide where to put it...
There is an award (blogging with a pupose) waiting for you at Moseplassen :D
Mosefruen: Thank you so much for the award! What a nice suprise! I love these magnolias, too and really should plant my own instead of driving around looking at other people's :-) If I didn't have a septic system running throughout my entire backyard, I would plant a lot more trees! Unfortunately the field bed takes up a lot of space that I can't plant in.
Beautiful Magnolias Mary
They take many years to establish I understand.
Hello Roy! I may have to look into that and see what it takes. If you can't just put it in the ground and let it grow, I probably would fail :-) I know that in my climate there will be many years of disappointment with frozen blooms. We often get cold snaps in April, long after spring is supposed to be here.
Oh my! Will you look at those beautiful blossoms?!!!! Absolutely stunning and sooooo welcome! Your bird pictures are wonderful, as always!
Sandpiper: Thanks! That tree certainly makes me feel like spring is here.
You know that there are lots of different magnolias? They all don’t get so humongous...
Magnolia Sieboldii will be about 3 m high; it flowers later than the regular big one so the flowers will be more protected. Magnolia Stellata is also a smaller alternative but it flowers early.
Mosefruen: I'm not good with Latin names. I know of 3 different magnolias that grow here...Saucer, Southern, and Star. I like the looks of the Saucer one the best and the pink flowers. The Southern Magnolias have beautiful white flowers, and leaves year round...my in-laws have one....but the leaves don't always look so nice. I really don't think it is as attractive a tree. The Star ones seem to grow small enough to be bush like...but again, I don't think they are as pretty.
Mary- Very cool shots of the mockingbird- I've never noticed their yellow eyes before.
Tom @ Ohio Nature
Tom: Thanks! Mine love to stare at me...I can't miss the eyes!
Post a Comment