Monday, April 21, 2008

The flowers that bloom in the spring...tra la!



If it wasn't for my dead Dogwood, everything else is so lovely right now! Spring is busting out all over! I have so many violets, I can't get enough of just looking at them! The Redbuds are blooming. I have one that fell over in a storm a few year back and lays in the yard.....but it is still rooted and still blooms! So....of course I leave it there and just mow around it :-) It has so many little clumps of blossoms on the trunk and limbs this year that I was fascinated by how they looked.
Makes it real easy to take pictures, when your tree is horizontal at eye level!

The Crab apples are blooming. I like the white one the best, but also have a pink one.

There is a nice nest up near the top.....don't know who it belongs to, but it's a lovely location....."penthouse with scenic view of pond, newly decorated in pink and green" :-)

My lilacs are beginning to burst open, but my bush is about 8 feet tall, so I have a lot of trouble taking pictures of them! I'm trying to get up the nerve to cut it back to a shorter height. I have two and cut one back last year. when it is blooming again, then I'll cut this one back...maybe.
The Japanese Cherry tree will be blooming and raining pink petals everywhere very soon! Here is one brach with some blossoms already open.

The abundance of blooming bushes and trees almost over-whelms me at this time of year!

I guess the birds are blooming too with the yellow goldfinches everywhere, red cardinals and house finches, robins with their bright breasts, red winged blackbirds stopping by, downys and red-bellied woodpeckers, and assorted titmice, chickadees, nuthatches and sparrows.....but against a GREEN background or flowers instead of snow or mud!
Sunday, our minister was explaining the difference between happiness and joy and right now, I can tell you that I am both happy and filled with joy at the beauty of this Springtime! God is good!

10 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Nice bird pictures.

Joy! An interesting topic. I was talking about this with a friend recently. I was reflecting that a certain person had no joy and it was a sad thing. She couldn't understand what I meant by joy. Just curious, how did your minister describe joy?

Mary said...

Cicero sings: I posted my own definition of joy back in November. If you search my blog for "joy" you will find it. Carl is just beginining this series of sermons on joy, which is part of the "fruit of the Spirit", so he didn't get very far yesterday. But he made the following points about happiness and joy: Happiness is casual, based on chance and circumstances. Joy is central or key and based on choice and Christ. He gave some intersting words from the Bible that reflect joy...radiance, rising (jumping about), shouting and running with excitement. I think we would need to move this to an email discussion to get any further :-)

me ann my camera said...

Your pictures make me anxious for our growing season to catch up. I should have a Crocus in bloom in just a few days. Your flowering trees are very beautiful. I enjoyed reading your previous comment above on joy and happiness.

Mary said...

Me and My Camera: Hope you get your crocus soon! This way we will get to see all your lovely growing things when ours have changed to something else :-) Blogging is teaching me a lot about how seasons reach different areas and what sorts of birds and flowers live everywhere. Teachers should use blogs in school, if they aren't doing so.

Anonymous said...

Lots of beautiful blooms Mary. So much colour.

abb said...

I was in Chicago and went by a park with fallen over trees...that were growing perfectly well, thank you. I have no idea what they were, but know they weren't redbuds. Didn't know trees did that!

As usual, your pics are wonderful!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Everything looks so beautiful, Mary! You have so many things flowering in your garden. It must feel like paradise!

Jessica said...

I really enjoy looking at your photos. Beautiful blossoms. Being in southern michigan our trees are about to bloom in the next week or two.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

You were poluted with beauty today, Mary!! Just love the little white-throated sparrow!
Great variety!!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I've got more beauty right now than I can hardly stand :-) When all these wonderful trees and bushes get done blooming, you'll find out what a terrible gardner I am, and won't see a lot of other color being posted. Spring is definitely my season! It happens all by itself without my help :-)

Annie: I was really surprised that that redbud keeps lying there alive. Obviously its roots go into the creek bank at some obsure angle. It is getting hard to mow around, but as long as it blooms each year, it will stay right where it is at! I keep hoping it will start some small Redbuds underneath it, but the seeds never seem to grow. I've tried potting them.