That's right....the best thing I had for Squirrel Sunday was a half bald squirrel (poor thing) so I was glad when a flock of Cedar Waxwings showed up and I could post them instead.

This was my favorite shot.....such fun to watch them eat!

They are such gorgeous birds, I can't get enough of watching them.

Stretching up to find a good crab apple

They have such an exotic look with that black mask and yellow tail tip.

Another one trying to stand on its head.

The crab apple tree is so "busy" with all the branches and apples, that it is hard to get a clear shot. I just about froze my fingers off taking these photos. I got to where I couldn't feel whether I was pressing the button down or not.

Lots of apples left

A rear view to show the yellow tail tip and the red wing spots.

The red brick of the neighbor's house and the red apples make a lot of red to work against.

There were about 20 maybe when I first saw them, but when I went outside only about 6-7 brave ones stayed around for the photo shoot.

Trying to sight through the branches the yellow tail tip and their yellowish belly were the main things that I could find to focus on. Of course my camera kept trying to focus on the pine tree behind them....I hate that and don't know how to make it zero in on the bird.

A more distant shot with 4 of them.

Some don't have the red wing tips. The one on top doesn't and the one below does. It comes from their diet of fruit.

I'm always so happy to get some good shots that I post way too many...but it's my blog and you don't have to look at them :-)

A final twisting shot.

And a prize won for the effort!
OK....that's all....I promise!
And if you REALLY wanted to see the bald squirrel.......
I hate to think how cold that poor squirrel is! I hope it has another squirrel to curl up with.
***********************
I'm greatly enjoying the tennis! There have been some great matches. I'd like to say to my Canadian friends, that your young player....Milos Raonic.....has surprised everyone and made it to the round of 16! Pretty good for a basically unknown player! Should be interesting to see how far he gets this week. Only one American left....Andy Roddick, after John Isner lost his 5 match struggle. (Update: Roddick played after I had gone to bed and is out also)
17 comments:
The Waxwing is such a colourful bird Mary and you took some great shots of them.
Loved the waxwing photos. I can understand why it would be hard to choose. Such a treat to see them now anyway!
Oh Mary! How very exciting to see the Cedar Waxwings! They are just about the most beautiful bird out there! I love the way their feathers look so smooth and the colors blend so gradually. The black mask, red and yellow spots make them very distinctive. You were blessed to be able to get these wonderful shots. You couldn't post too many for me!!!!!
The waxwings are a fave of mine! You got some amazing captures! I especially LOVE the ones with them reaching for the berries and the getting the PRIZE!
Gorgeous pictures.The Waxwings are not only beautiful but acrobatic as well.
Ruth
Beautiful set of photos!I planted 1 of these trees trying to tempt them here,but no luck so far.I love your blog,phylliso
My favorite pictures in this series are 4, 9, and the last one with the squirrel and woodpecker. Waxwings are always a treat, especially when enjoying their treat of berries!
...love the waxwing shots. They are awesome!!! Rick is losing sleep staying up late watching the matches. He's enjoying the tourney also...
Since Waxwings don't show up here very often, and I LOVE them, I'm so glad you posted all these awesome pictures. I love the ones eating. Poor squirrel, maybe he has some sort of mange?
A bit ( but not much) warmer here today, and the sun is shining.
B.
A glorious Waxwing encounter.
Hi Mary...Hows the tennis fan doing!!
Good thing you took some time to get to see these gorgeous Waxwings!
They are beautiful photos!!
I have very few apples on my tree so probably won't be seeing them right in my trees like you this year..hopefully I will see some somewhere!!
I'm trying to catch up today with everyone's blogs while there is a slow down with the tennis. There will be fewer matches this next week.
Roy: Yes, they are very beautiful and I get so excited to see them, but it is hard to get in a good spot to photograph them.
Janice: they are a lovely treat :-)
Dorothy: They have such an unusual look...so smooth.
Kerri: I wish I would get a few more berry shots, but they always seem to have a dozen twigs in front of them at the important moment.
Ruth: I'm amazed how they bend down and hang on the outer weaker limbs.
Philliso: Good luck! These crab apples are very small. They don't eat the larger crab apples on my other tree. If I planted another one, I would ask about the apple size now that I know birds will eat them.
Country Dreaming: They seem more exotic than most of the birds and since they come so seldom it lends to that mysterious air.
Kelly: Thanks! I know how Rick feels. With the big time difference, it is way past my bedtime by the time the best matches are playing. I had to force myself to go to bed and wait to watch the recording.
Becky: I suppose the waxwings wouldn't seem so exciting if we saw them all the time. I was guessing mange or mites or something for that squirrel.
Early Birder: Thanks!
Grammie G: When it is so cold, I think they will take every crab apple they can find. I've noticed the Robins swarming in local trees, too for the fruit that is left.
Wow!! This was such a treat! I've only seen Waxwings once year in Texas, and it was just for a few minutes. I'm so jealous that they are in your yard. Have you planted certain things to attract birds? Do you use a certain kind of bird feed? Thanks again, I really enjoy your photos.
Beautiful pictures of the Waxwings, Mary... Poor little squirrel...
Sorry that no Americans are left in the tennis matches.
Hugs,
Betsy
Linda: They like the crab apple tree that has white flowers and very small apples. Other than that I feed sunflower seeds, suet, peanuts, peanut butter.
Betsy: Thanks! I guess we still have a doubles team...I forget about them.
I have yet to see a waxwing in real life...and I think they are just so handsome!
Poor little squirrel...I wonder what is wrong with it...if it got hurt and lost its hair or in a fight. I guess we will never know.
I think Waxwings are magnificent looking!
Post a Comment