Friday, January 14, 2011

SkyWatch Friday.....

It's SkyWatch Friday and I had to go back a few days to find some skies that weren't just boring grey. Winter here doesn't offer pretty skies very often. I did go walking at the wetlands one day this last week and the sky was blue and really looked pretty reflected on the water and ice.
I love rippled effects in water.....like some type of calligraphy.

The blue reflected on the ice seemed so startling when in actuality everything below was pretty cold and dreary.

This Mockingbird was fluffed up against the cold.

I like looking at nests in the wintertime

I'm sure some very warm squirrels live here.

The big picture....blue sky, white clouds....almost made you feel like it was summer (if my hands hadn't been so cold as I clicked the photo).

Two Downys were chasing each other through the trees and I caught one of them. Downys are so territorial.

Might as well throw in these hawk shots since they have lots of sky behind them. This was a different day and not so blue. A Red-shouldered Hawk perched high on a dead tree.

Less than a mile down the road another one was on the wire.

Finishing up some photos from this file....back home the Mockingbird was after the suet.

The Red-bellied Woodpecker was a bit more successful.

The Red-breasted Nuthatch loves this little cup I've been putting peanuts in.

I never tire of these little nuthatches. I like how they look from the back with the stripes around the eye area.
That's my SkyWatch Friday and birds for today.
For more great skies click on the icon in my sidebar or the words SkyWatch.

12 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Gorgeous reflections in the icy water! And the sweet birds, I like how some of them fluff up to keep warm. :)

Unknown said...

Good job!!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Unknown said...

These are wonderful bird shots! I've tried, and can't get them to sit still long enough...

grammie g said...

Hi Mary..nice the reflections and I love seeing the nest to.. I am always amazed when I see one I might have walked by all summer long and didn't know was there!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

All the pictures are great,but you know me.I love the reflection ones the best.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

I like those reflections in the icy water! Your bird pictures are always great!! We're not quite a month into winter and I think we're all ready for spring and warmer weather, at least I am!

Shelley said...

You have such a nice assortment of treats for your birds! Loved the rippling water photos especially!

George said...

I also like the sky reflected in the water and ice. Your photos of the hawk are also wonderful.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures, Mary.... The birds, the sky, the reflections were all wonderful... It has been very cold here also this week.. Was about 5 Degrees when we got up this morning... Yow!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Arija said...

That first shot just blew me away. The broken reflections are like bits remembered from an elusive dream.

Hugs . . . Arij

Rose said...

I love those red bellied woodpeckers...I have at least one that comes here...and Sarah has one that comes to her house.

Becky said...

Your wetlands still look enviting Mary. "Our" creek isn't completely frozen yet.
Super bird shots too. Love those Nuthatches! I'm curious how you have those peanuts displayed.
B.