I just realized it is World Bird Wednesday while visiting other blogs, so I will add that to my post.We've had snow for the last couple of days and the birds are everywhere and hungry! I've taken so many photos....some before the snow, some during ......so I figure I better get a few posted.
The Chickadee doesn't usually sit where I can see it eat, but this one did and isn't he really cute??
I think this is his "I'm happy because I found a peanut" face :-)
I love the way they hold stuff with their feet while they eat it.
"Maybe I'll take this elsewhere....it's going to take me awhile to eat it."
The Red-breasted Nuthatch found the peanuts, too.
I don't know what the Robin finds to eat at this time of year in the snow, but he likes the water in the fountain.
The House Finches are in and out of every feeder. This one posed nicely before swooping in on the seeds.
The Wren tries all the feed, too and I have trouble keeping up with him.
The Mockingbird showed up yesterday with all the snow and went straight to the suet.
I like this peek-a-boo shot.
The "peanut thief" is still hanging around and this morning he was stuffing 2-3 at a time in his beak before taking off.
But he will eat other seeds, too.
Blue Jays are another "cheerful" bird for the snowy gloomy days.
I had 3 Starlings mobbing this large suet cake and the poor little Downy was sitting there waiting for them to go away. I decided to help him out and scare them off.....
.......just happened to get this weird shot of the Downy when they all jumped. The Starlings flew away as planned and the Downy just hid on the back of the tree until they were gone.
This Junco looks very cold and like he doesn't really want to put that foot down in the snow. I need a little heated pad they can sit on and warm their feet :-)
I don't think Mrs. Cardinal is enjoying the snow. That expression looks pretty grim.
The squirrels just fluff up their fur coats and use their tails to protect themselves from the wind. These two live in those trees covered with ivy that you see in the background. My "scurry of squirrels" seems to have settled down and there are now just 2-3 hanging around out back. I guess the others won their mates and went away.
22 comments:
What a great selection of birds.
I really love the Blue Jay you have there. I wish we had them here.
Hi Mary..your sure have drawn in quite a crowd there...what seed company do you support hahaha!!
It is snowing and blowing so hard here I have seen only one poor Junco...they must be holding up somewhere until they can find the landing strip!! : }
Around 12 inches right now and still snowing like crazy...I can
hardly see my neighbors house across the street!!
May need to use those snowshoes to get out of here!!
What a wonderful collection of images. Such variety around your place, and so beautifully photographed.
The wren steals my heart. I know we have some around but I rarely get a good look at them.
A fantastic group of shots. It's interesting to me particularly because our backyards look the same and I have been faced with these same overcast, snowy conditions. You have mastered this tough light wonderfully. Going back for another look! ;-)WBW
I like how you captured the Chickadee with the food.It is rare to have them sit and eat the food anywhere near to the feeder.
You have so many great birds in winter. I envy you. :)
Hi Mary, What a great collection of pictures today! You're enjoying that new lens, aren't you?
The Chickadee is one of my favorites and I have not seen the first one during our snow. Guess they are hiding out somewhere.
Beautiful birds and lovely images of them. Many thanks for sharing.
Those are GREAT chickadee pictures. I do so love chickadees.
I love all of your blogs.Your bird pics are fantastic!The little woodpecker looks like a small plane coming in for a landing,phylliso
What a grand series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.
I like the way the Chickadee holds the food between its feet, just like our Coal Tit. The little Wren is delightful Mary
Great pictures of your winter birds, Mary.... Haven't seen any Robins yet ---like I did last winter... Love your Chickadee picture. We have many of those cuties...
Thanks Mary... They are GREAT.
Hugs,
Betsy
I really like your pictures of the Chickadee with the peanut.
These are great shots of all your birds Mary! I really like the peek-a-boo shot of the Mocker too ;-)
What beautiful photographs. They are so captivating! I love the Chickadees, and can hardly wait till they come through Texas with the Titmouses each year.
What a gorgeous Carolina Wren. Another personal favorite.
Are these all in your yard?
Thanks for sharing.
Linda
Visit me @
amaidenhairfern.blogspot.com
Your Cardinals catch my eye every time, Mary!
A wonderful wealth of creatures coming to your feeders.
I love the chickadee and the way he manager to grasp the peanut as well as the twig with those tiny feet.
Great variety of birds .... wonderful shots :)
Thank you everyone! I am enjoying the bounty of birds right now with the snow out there. I may go broke feeding them!
I seen a whole flock of Robins at Sarah's in the snow...before Christmas but since this last surgery.
Then the other day we were north of here and I seen a couple robins. But it has been ages since I seen one here.
I'm just so far behind Mary. I can see you have been putting your new lens to good use. Awesome shots.
I love backyard birds!
B.
Post a Comment