I love Carolina Wrens, but usually when they show up they move constantly and I end up taking lots of photos of empty feeders, and the edge of things it hides behind, or the top of its head. Yesterday it was interested in the new suet cake.

The "sitting perky" position.
An over-the-shoulder glance
Hanging sideways
I especially appreciate this wren, because last week I found a dead one just inside the garage door. Don't know what killed it....not my cats. I was so horrified at losing one of my favorite birds that I tossed it into the bushes so a hawk wouldn't find it. I sort of wish now that I had saved a few of its beautiful feathers to study them more closely. They are very remarkable in color and pattern with all those little stripes.
14 comments:
I wish our Wrens were quite so bold Mary, lovely shots.
All excellent shots of a bird I've gotten real nice glimpses of while birdwatching in the field, but have never really observed at a feeder.
Love that Carolina Wren! He's a perky little thing, always squating
twisting and turning! Never still for a second. You managed to get some good pictures of him!
You got a bunch of really nice shots. I love our little Carolina Wren also. Their colors are so warm looking against the snow, and it seems like most of the other birds that visit us right now are grey or black in color.
You got some great pictures of the Carolina Wren, Mary. You are right... They are so active that it's hard to catch them in pictures... What a Cutie!!!!
Thanks.
Hugs,
Betsy
Hi Mary...You really got your opportunity this time...what a cutie he is...I don't see any position that you didn't get a photo of : }}
Beautiful shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
A pretty little bird Mary and you have some lovely shots. I do think it was actually posing in one or two - perhaps as a thank you for the lovely food you leave out for it. A x
I'm glad that suet gave you the opportunity to capture these wonderful pictures of the wren.
Wow, Mary, you got a lot of great pictures of my favorite bird. Don't you just love their song and personality?
Oh the Carolina Wren is one of my faves! They look like such little "gentlemen" in what I think looks like a plaid suit. Love the way he posed for you!!
These are amazing pictures.The feathers have a subtle beauty,with all those little details.
Ruth
Glorious images of the jaunty Wren. Sorry to hear about the dead one ... this species often suffers during exceptionally hard winters so your feeder is a godsend. FAB.
They have got to be the cutest ever of all the Wrens. Mine has been missing for a few days :~( I hope it is OK.
B.
Post a Comment