Saturday, January 29, 2011

Henderson bits and pieces....

Drove over to Henderson Slough to see if any Snow Geese were still there. Didn't see any. We did see some small groups of Canada Geese.
The swans were gone, too, but this looks like a group of Mallards out in the middle of the frozen pond. I'll be glad when all of this thaws and there might be more ducks around to see.

More Canadas

Hiding in the grass.


We saw a lot of hawks....flying, perching, even hunting, but no great photos.
More silhouette than photo.

This hawk had something big.....rabbit/squirrel at the edge of the road and when we drove by he flew up into a tree. We backed off down the road so we could see if he would go back to get it. Not while we sat there. We passed this area twice more and there were hawks there each time.

This time some other car did the spooking.....see the hawk on the left in the air?

Got close enough to the Ohio River to take a shot near some river camps. We were driving around on gravel roads in the "river bottoms".

Back home, I was fascinated by all the bird tracks on my driveway.

Not so crazy about the mole tunnel stretching across the front yard! This morning I heard birds singing and the suet feeder had been raided by a raccoon last night and more mole tunnels. Spring must be on the way!

6 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary..there are things that we forget about when seasons start to change...mud, moles, raccoon, skunk. I guess we have to take the good with the bad!! : }}
I imagine the geese and ducks will be glad when it thaws too!!

Unknown said...

Still an interesting outing!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.

Becky said...

Singing birds. Oh joy, that must be a good sign. Good trip Mary.
B.

me ann my camera said...

How wonderful taht you think spring might be close. I think so. I wonder what Mr. Groundhog might

indicate about that on his upcoming special day this coming week? We went
ltooking for hawks yesterday and were lucky to find some and an eagle too. No signs of ducks or geese though, its too cold and frigid for them. We mainly have redpolls coming to our feeders.
Have a great day,
Ann

Rose said...

I can't believe you have moles this early!!!! We finally had to get these traps...hate having to kill them but they tear our yard up so bad.

The cats catch one every now and then...and dig after them fairly often once they get started in our yard.

Rose said...

Forgot to tell you I really love that third photo from the bottom...just something about it.