Sunday, November 8, 2009

Squirrel Sunday....

I still have squirrel photos from the day I went to Wesselman Woods. This is one of the smaller squirrels that was busy checking everywhere he could for food that someone else might have missed. He climbed up on this little feeder by the window, which made it nice for me to watch him.
"If I dig deep enough there must be some seeds left in here somewhere."

"Hmmmmm....maybe I'll have more luck on the ground."
He found some sort of pod (?) on the ground and started working it over. I have no idea what it is.
He was working it sort of like an ear of corn, striping off the outer part.
I'm not sure he really found it that tasty, but it was something to chew on. It seemed very fibourous inside. Guess squirrels need their daily dose of fiber just like the rest of us!
Enough photos......but a very pretty tail :-)

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! I am like a child Mary .... when I see you have Squirrel Sunday, I can't wait to see what you have for us again. It is my favorite of all the blogs around. :)

"Fiber just like us"? LOL!! LOL!! A godd one.

Just love your pics and dialog my friend!!

Dorothy said...

Love your squirrel pix today. Just look at those little fingers and toes!! They are fascinating to watch! Happy Sunday to you!

Tony nile life said...

I think Mary its a ladies finger seed pod, does it grow in the area
Photo of the ones that grow here on this log post its the one with the pink flower.http://nilelife2.blogspot.com/2009/10/blog-post_18.html
nice to see the squirrel photos,

Mary said...

Joan: I'm glad you enjoy it, but sometimes my mind isn't up to captions :-)

Dorothy: He was so intent working on it...total concentration.

Tony: I had to look at your blog and look up LadyFinger's (okra!) That is what it looks like, but can't imagine why okra would be there unless the staff provided it. Thank's for pointing that out.

Arija said...

The animal kingdom is so full of wonders. Delightful shots.

Becky said...

Another cute, cute squirrel. Don't let Star know you were photographing a rival squirrel...You took some fantastic close-ups...
About the duck house. There are many of them scattered around this area, and I think the Wood duck will use it.I would put some up near the creek, but that water can get way too high during a heavy rain.
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Guess Mr. Squirrel does need his fiber, Mary.. Looks like a chunk of wood to me!!!! We seem to have more squirrels than ever around our house this late Fall. They must be busy getting ready for a long winter!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

I can watch squirrels for hours. They are cute, but they are also interesting, particularly if there's more than one to be seen.

Jenn Jilks said...

Cute shots. Our squirrels are getting rather fat - stealing too much bird seed...

George said...

What a great picture sequence. I always enjoy your Squirrel Sundays.

Kelly said...

...he's so cute, and I love his reddish tail!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! There were about a dozen squirrels running around this area, so it was nice to get some photos. I think my home squirrels are off gathering stuff in the wild...I don't see them much right now.

Rose said...

Squirrels just have to be one of the cutest animals! This one is adorable.