Thursday, November 12, 2009

Some of the home birds.....

After watching the robins and waxwings yesterday, I sat on the swing for awhile watching the "regulars" come in for a late afternoon snack.The Chickadees would land on one of these sticks and set the feeder spinning.
All of the birds really like these little wire feeders and if I put sticks in them, the Cardinals can land there, too.

Sometimes the Titmouse and Chickadee land together. They don't seem to mind sharing.
I had some Titmouse photos from the weekend that I hadn't posted yet, so since they are one of my favorite birds, I will stick them in here :-) This Titmouse had lots of rufous color on its sides....perhaps an older one. A couple of them look pretty young and don't have a lot of side color showing.
They work so hard on each seed, but look so cute as they hold the seed in their little toes.
A long stretch down to the cup!
Suet is good too!
I'll take this one.
The Red-Bellied Woodpecker dropped down out of the oak tree to the squirrel feeder. I keep a supply of sunflower seeds there.
A couple of Blue Jays showed up....first I have seen for months.
Both of them tried to eat from the same side of the feeder.
Got a bit crowded at times!
I like the way they throw their heads back to swallow.
Well....that's it for today!

9 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely.I especially like the Blue Jays against the red foliage.Birds are so entertaining.Have a fabulous day,my friend.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

Your Jay bird swallows corn like I swallow a pill!! All are beautiful bird pictures!!!

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks....have a great day.

Dorothy: I do that, too! And he doesn't use any water with it :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, We have the same birds right now except for the Bluejays. Ours disappear from here this time of year. Not sure where they go since they are year-round birds.. BUT--they aren't in my yard.

We also have Goldfinches, White-breasted nuthatches, lots of Cardinals and Carolina Wrens.

Great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

These are wonderful pictures. I'll have to admit that I also enjoy watching the titmice, but I also like to see our Red-Bellied Woodpecker at both the suet and sunflower feeders.

Becky said...

I've had the same birds except no Red-bellied yet. He doesn't show up till winter. Don't you just love the Titmice. They are so cute with their big eyes.
B.

Mary said...

Betsy: Your bluejays must have flown up here. I'm suddenly seeing a lot of them.

George:I really like most birds, if I get really honest about it :-) If they come to my feeder and provide me with photos, than I can't help but like them.

Becky: Titmice always look happy and the way they and the chickadees concentrate so hard on their food just always makes me smile.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: You are getting some birds that are long gone from my area. I guess a freeze will do that.

Mary said...

Tom: These are the birds that will stay here all winter, so I'm glad to see them.