Sunday, November 15, 2009

Squirrel Sunday....

(Wesselman Woods last month)Look at that squirrel hang on that feeder!......
......a half hour later......

.......and hour later! Maybe someone glued his paws to the feeder.....or maybe he's just really greedy!


This little guy sort of puzzled me.....look at his dark mouth area.

Another look. Here you can see thin fur on his arm. A sick squirrel? Why the black mouth?
I actually wondered if he had been eating walnuts :-)
Just so I can eventually finish up this folder of photos....a towhee that was there.
White-Throated Sparrow
I guess you have to put your whole head in to find just the right seed!
And there it is...the perfect seed!
At least the squirrel isn't hanging on this feeder.

14 comments:

Kathy W said...

aww cute shots. that little bird is pretty.

Dorothy said...

Very cute pictures of squirrels and birds this morning!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

Aren't they intriguing?! Great shots.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute Mary... I have no idea why the squirrel's mouth is black... Maybe he got into some INK.... ha ha

Cute picture of the Tufted getting JUST the right seed.

Hugs,
Betsy

Lindy said...

Squirrels are quite the persistent acrobats, aren't they? It's nice they can provide us with lots of entertainment! That's a cute photo of him/her getting a drink. You are probably correct about it eating walnuts.

I'm wondering who is monitoring the comings and goings of the bird searching for the perfect seed. I've never seen a band on a little bird before, only raptor types.

George said...

Your squirrel photos show why we just resign ourselves to feeding squirrels as well as birds. You got a great picture of the sparrow and the titmouse getting his perfect seed.

Mike said...

Nice squirrel Sunday post Mary, white throated sparrows look stunning.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

He must have been VERY hungry to hang on like that Mary or maybe he is stuffing his pouches with enough to last him the winter in case the feeder is not filled again ?? :)

Jenny said...

That is one porky squirrel!!! I'd agree with Joan that he was probably stuffing his pouches to go and deposit it all somewhere safe. Lovely White-throated Sparrow photo!

RamblingWoods2.com said...

We have one gray squirrel with black too..Love the birds...

Mary said...

Thanks everyone....as fat as that squirrel was, I couldn't believe he could hang like that the whole time I was there! The other squirrels would have liked to have a chance and the birds kept flying towards the feeder and then veering away. He finally got down while I was there went to the water for a drink and wash and climbed up a tree....probably for a nice long after dinner nap!

Becky said...

Maybe that squirrel was eating suet. Could that make his mouth dark if it was greasy.
Love ALL your pictures Mary.
B.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Really cool shots of your birds, mine seem to be limited right now.

Rose said...

Mary, I don't know what to think about the squirrel and the black...nor the missing fur either. If it was earlier, I would think the missing fur was to line a nest for babies...just not sure about now.