Monday, November 2, 2009

White-Breasted Nuthatch.....

When I went to Wesselman Woods on Saturday, I didn't see any birds that I don't see at home, but the viewing area is so nice and quiet, I like to spend time there. This part of the Nature Center is like 3 sides of a hexagon jutting out of the side of the building and has glass on all sides. The trees of the woods are right there close and they have added dozens of feeders of all types and a couple natural looking water features. There was a constant stream of birds while I watched and about a dozen squirrels. There is seating built in to sit and watch or just stand at the windows like I did.There was a very busy little White-Breasted Nuthatch that I enjoyed watching flit back and forth. He's getting ready to drop down on one of the feeders here.
Success!

Watching for his turn. He was competing with at least 3 Chickadees and 3 Titmice, plus one Squirrel that was totally wrapped around one of the hanging feeders.
He did like the suet and it was less busy then the sunflower seed feeders.
I noticed that he had a leg band. Wesselman Woods does several leg banding programs so I assumed it was their own band. They also operate the Howell Wetlands on the westside where I take so many photos. Both places are jewels that our city is lucky to have.
Finally got a chance at the safflower and sunflower seeds. I noticed that most of the birds picked the sunflower over the safflower.
I included this badly lit shot to show how he uses his tail for balance, just like the woodpeckers.
While there I saw: White-Breasted Nuthatch, Red-Bellied and Downy woodpeckers, Titmice, Chickadees, White-Throated Sparrows, Cardinals, Towhee, Dove, Goldfinches, House Finches, Junco and at least a dozen squirrels. I was hoping for some Warblers or the Redstart that I saw last time. No luck this time, but it was a beautiful day to visit there. We used to live within a block of this park and I took the kids there every day when they were little. Now I am about a half hour drive on the opposite side of town and don't go there very often. They have a big recycling program to help pay for bird seed, so I usually go when I have stuff to drop off.

11 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That sounds like a wonderful place to sit Mary and that is an impressive list.

Naturegirl said...

Mary such wonderful images to wake up to! Love each one..now I must go to my own window for a show..you've reminded me to stock up on the suet..love and light aNNa

Kelly said...

I love White-breasted Nuthatches...they are the birds of winter for me. Their little yank yank call carries so well in the cold woods. Lovely photos....I love the one where he has a bit of suet in his bill.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This sounds like a lovely place and your pictures prove that.Have a lovely day.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Gorgeous little bird, Mary. We have the White-breasted Nuthatch year round here. They will come to the feeders even when I'm nearby. They chatter constantly...

The summer color is more blue and the winter is more gray. Neat bird. You got some great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

This is a pretty little bird that I never see! If they are here, they must be hiding in the woods!

George said...

These are wonderful pictures. It's neat that you have a place where you can enjoy the birds up close and get such marvelous pictures.

Becky said...

It sounds like you did have a great biedwatching day. I love watching Nuthatches. They are so entertaining.
What a marvelous place to visit.
B.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone. I see White-Breasted Nuthatches at home, but this one was fun to watch. I was surprised that the photos didn't show the dirt that was on the windows. Now that my weather has turned nicer, I am getting more photos each day.

Rose said...

Great captures, Mary!

Eve said...

Your nuthatch pictures are great Mary! And a great bunch of birds to see!