We were downtown picking up a vehicle.......inner city area. While Mike was getting the keys, I noticed a row of birds on the wire and picked up my camera.....

Then I noticed the one in the middle was a hawk!
"One of these things is not like the others......"

Not only was I amazed to see the hawk downtown, I was suprised that the starlings didn't immediately fly away!

He finally did some tail fluffing and shaking and that scared them off.

I drove around the block to get closer and ended up right underneath where he was. I like how he seems to be peeking over the top of the pole :-)

Got one good shot before I went away and left him alone.
I will have to start paying more attention to the downtown area when looking for hawks!
14 comments:
A lovely find Mary. I am also surprised the Starlings did not fly off.
....good eye! He's gorgeous.
Great shots of the hawk. They are beautiful birds. I haven't seen one in a long time now.
A keen eye and a ready camera served you well.Have a good day.
Blessings,Ruth
Great shots of the Hawk and starlings, Mary!
I was surprised to see the hawk sitting in the middle of those starlings. You got some great captures. That last picture is wonderful.
Maybe the Starlings know that 'in mass' they are okay... Besides, the hawk told me that he was looking for a big, fat Mourning Dove....
Great photo.
Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. You and Mike and George and I ought to find a middle ground place sometime and MEET...
Fabulous, Mary! The first and second photos make me think of a conductor and his orchestra! LOL!
Perhaps you are already aware; there are peregrine falcons down on Monument Circle in Indy. The blog is kind of quiet now, but in the spring it is active and there are two cameras set up in the nest box. Sometimes one can get lucky and see one of them in the nest box at this time of year.
http://blogs.indystar.com/falconblog/
I'm, along with everyone else am surprised that the Starlings stayed put. That last shot is lovely with that beady eye! (-:
Those Starlings probably feel they can out run him.
Great shots Mary!!! It looks like a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk to me. Believe it or not, many times the birds don't feel too threatened around Red-tailed Hawks (especially when the weather is nice to still have rodents around as rodents are a RT Hawks 1st choice of food).
I am thinking the Starlings knew they were not in danger at this time, but may be a little more leary to be hanging out with a hawk come February when the pickings are slim! ;-).
Thanks for the pictures!
My goodness those birds were taking quite a chance hanging around so long. Must be the hawk wasn't hungry..
By the way I forgot to mention how much I like your new header!
B.
Nice captures!
Mary: What a brave little hawk.
Post a Comment