We drove down to Henderson Slough on Friday to see if any waterfowl were showing up yet.
These pipes flood the fields with water and the crops have been cut leaving sections of corn standing in the fields.
I wish these were better photos, but the distance is pretty far. We could see that there were some swans way out in the farthest area and some geese and a few ducks, but this is about the best shot I got and it is cropped. I couldn't seem to get the light right. At this distance the autofocus has a lot of trouble picking out the difference in birds and crop stubble.
As the months go on, there will be 1000's of geese out there. They will get closer to the road and hopefully I will get better photos. The entire area is closed from now until March to any trespassing and hunting, so all I can do is stand there on the road and use binoculars and my best distance focus. There are a few raised platforms, but right now the birds aren't near those.
A group of Killdeer were gleaning in the fields, also.
We decided to drive on around to a place by the Ohio River to eat some lunch and passed this field with water. This is all bottom land near the river and there were farmers out still harvesting some of the crops in a couple fields. I like the reddish looking grasses.
We could see these two ducks. Truthfully, I thought they were Coots when I was taking the photos, until I got the photos home on the computer. Then I could tell they were dark ducks with a big white patch on the cheek.....Goldeneyes? Not a duck I see normally. (NOTE: Bruce tells me these are Buffleheads....a lifer for me!)
If I had realized they were something special, I might have tried for better photos :-)
This Osage Orange tree still had some of its fruit, but most was on the ground. I've always called them "hedgeapples".
A close-up of one on the ground.
A Bluebird was the only bird to give me a nice photo for the day.
I like finding nests at this time of year when you can see them easily.
We sat and watched the barge traffic on the Ohio River with Mt. Vernon in the background while we ate lunch. It was a beautiful day!
Lots of coal going up river.
Heading back through Henderson, we stopped at the place where I photographed the eagle's nest and heron rookery back in the early spring and summer. It looks so different now with the cypress trees all turned red! I could just barely make out where the eagle's nest was located and a couple of the old heron nests.
We'll probably wait a couple weeks for checking on the migrating waterfowl again, but were pleased to see the swans already.
19 comments:
Lots of nice shots, Mary! The Blue bird is my favorite!
Dorothy: It looked so pretty sitting there....seemed like the wrong time of year for it, but was glad to see it.
I would say that gorgeous Bluebird picture would make up for any others,you didn't get.I liked the red grasses as well.Waterfowl can be so uncooperative,like your swans.:)Have a wonderful day my friend.
Blessings,Ruth
My first time here, what a nice blog.
This is a nice series of photos.
We called Osage Orange, Bodark Apples in Oklahoma.
Ruth: Yes, I was pleased with such a beautiful bluebird :-)
Fourwings photojournal: Thanks for stopping by! That's a new name, I hadn't heard for them.
I also think your bluebird picture is great. You also got wonderful pictures along the Ohio. I have the same problem with auto focus at long distances.
It's amazing how different things look in different seasons, doesn't it Mary??? I love sitting along the river watching the big barges and ships go by... What a neat place to have a picnic.
Remember when I posted about the Orange Osage tree in KY???? I had never seen one. Those 'hedgeapples' could hurt you if they fell on your head, couldn't they????
Hugs,
Betsy
George: I guess because I just use autofocus and don't know much else, I always figure someone else would have gotten better photos :-)
Betsy: I wouldn't want one to fall on me, for sure! I always knew them as "hedgeapples" and last year had to look up what their real name was.
Ahh....bluebird!
I was going to write you and see if the geese had made it back down there. I saw a few fly overhead here just a week or so ago, but made a quick run through the strip pits today when I ran to Walmart and I didn't see a single goose...saw lots of Northern Harriers though.
What a great place for them too Mary. We call those big round thing "breadfruit".
Absolutely stunning shot of the bluebird! WOW!
Helen: Hello! I always think of you as the Bluebird Lady :-) You had one shot of a baby, that will always be my favorite.
Joan: Interesting to hear the different names for them!
Kerri: Thanks...he was a sweet surprise.
Rose: I'll let you know when the migration is in full swing. It is really wonderful when they arrive in the big groups.
Hi Mary, your mystery ducks are female Buffleheads. Lovely graceful looking things I think. Those Osage Orange things are amazing. Like the Persimmons, they are something I haven't come across before. Are they used for anything? They do look heavy somehow, are they? Glad you and Mike had a grand day out! (-:
Mary: I enjoyed you trip and the Ohio River.
We used to have a row of Osage orange trees behind our house in Kansas. They were used as a windbreak around one of the wheat fields. Locally there, you didn't hear them called Osage oranges that much. People called them hedge-apples.
Jenny: Someone else just told me those ducks were Buffleheads and those are a lifer for me! I don't think the Osage Orange are useful for anything....except growing more. I read last year that squirrles liked them, so I brought one home and my squirrels totally ignored it even after I cut it up. They are nasty sticky things. They are heavy. About the size of a large grapefruit and solid.
Tom: thanks!
Riverbum:Oh, good...another hedgeapple person :-) Must be a midwest term.
Another interesting trip Mary. You do have such great places to visit.
B.
Post a Comment