Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pigeons....

It would be impossible to drive downtown without seeing pigeons. Yet, I have never really taken the time to photograph them or look at them more closely.Most of the time I am driving by somewhere and look up and see hundreds like on the edge of this building.
I cropped this some to get a little closer look.

I didn't even know that they are in fact Rock Doves (Feral Pigeon) according to my Sibley field guide. This one was rather pretty! With Mike driving, I usually am hanging out the window while stopped at a light trying to take photos.
Most are dark colored like these, but an occasional white one gets mixed in. Would like to see that one closer!
Their feathers are rather pretty when you get closer and I can see that I will have to park somewhere downtown and try for some better shots of the variety of colors.
No matter how common a bird is, it can still be very interesting to study!

15 comments:

Eve said...

I enjoyed seeing the Rock Doves Mary! I love the ones that stand out like the white one. I would love to raise pigeons for fun!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Pigeons can be quite a nuisance,but they have such pretty coloring.That is a lot of birds lining the top of that building.
Blessings,Ruth

Kathy W said...

Wow that is a lot of pigeons lining the top of that building. You know they are interesting looking birds but they have got to be the dumbest birds. The darn things will land in the middle of the street and end up getting run over because they won't move.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is interesting to capture the things you see all around you all the time, but look more closely. Great shots.

I am often hanging out the window, too! Kindred spirit!

Mary said...

Eve: I think that should be your next challenge! You did so well with your guineas :-)

Ruth: They do seem to have pretty colors when you can isolate one from the many.

Kathy: That is the Mead Johnson building and it is near the river. I've noticed that they have certain spots the prefer. All doves seem to be a bit on the dumb side. I notice that with the Mourning doves.

Jenn: One of the nicest things about having Mike drive me around, is the freedom to shoot photos out the window :-)

George said...

That building is certainly popular with the Rock Doves. We enjoy watching the Morning Doves that come to our deck to feed on what has fallen from the feeders. They do have beautiful feathers.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I used to HATE pigeons. When I worked at a church in New Orleans, they were all over those old buildings --leaving the droppings everywhere. That church spent alot of money to get rid of them--but I'm not sure that anything worked. They were such a nuisance.

These days--I love our Mourning Doves, but they don't roost on our house. I don't know what to think of all of those pigeons you pictured. They really are pretty birds though, aren't they?????

Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Yes, their irridescent plumage is wonderful close up. I think Starlings can be beautiful like that when seen in a certain light. Take some bread with you next time and you should really get some close ups! (-:

me ann my camera said...

I think pigeons can be quite fascinatingin appearance at rtmes with their red eyes and red feet, but I don't want any coming to my feeders and none do.Do you have any brown pigeons in your area?

Ann.

Mary said...

I think most people tend to dislike pigeons for all the mess they make in areas where they roost. I think the city discourages them from the underpasses and some areas, but they have favorite wires they like to sit on.

Ann: I haven't seen any brown ones. Will have to do more looking. Mostly I seem to see light grey, dark(black) and a few white.

Becky said...

I've always loved Pigeons. As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind raising some fancy ones. I think they are so gentile and beautiful, although they are a bit messy.
I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your header.
B.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It sure is great having someone to drive you around so you can concentrate on the important things. :)

Rose said...

I did not know they were Rock Doves, although I have always thought they were a close relative of the dove.

Wouldn't you just love to be at eye level and get to take a photo of them looking down the line?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: They can be spooky birds in town. I see them flying but seldom in a place to capture them.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! I was just thinking about changing the header. You have some of the most beautiful headers ever on your blog.

Joan: Yes, he has his uses :-) Being a willing driver is one of them!

Rose: That would be fun to shoot! I don't see them at ground level ever. They don't seem to wander our city streets.

Tom: You would think that a bird that is around so much would be a more frequet photo subject, but like you...I'm never in the right place at the right time.