Saturday, November 14, 2009

New series in my other blog...Dome Sweet Home

(nature post below this announcement) This photo of our house was taken soon after it was built and before there were any other houses around it. I had promised a couple people to show photos of the dome and talk about it, so this is to tell you that I'm kicking off the series today in my This, That and the Other Thing blog (where it fits more appropriately) So click on the link if you want to read about domes. I will post once a week on Saturdays for this series.
I'm sure that many of you know that Buckminster Fuller was the creator of the Geodesic Dome design. My dad met Fuller years ago in Washington DC when Fuller brought his Dymaxion car to the Experimental Farm where the Bureau of Public Roads did testing. I wrote a bit about Fuller and show his car is this very old post from my early blogging days. http://faithfabricandphotos.blogspot.com/2007/11/stepping-out-of-circle.html

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Neat picture, Mary! I guess living in a dome is a little different! Beautiful area!

George said...

I didn't realize you lived in a dome. I've always been fascinated by them. We've probably been near your house a time or two as we've driven up I-65 to northern Indiana.

Mary said...

Dorothy: thanks

George: Wrong 65.....we're on the other side of the state in Evansville near state road 65.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary... I had no idea. You all must have had one of the first dome houses built back then. Bet you had alot of visitors wanting to see it....

Did you like it??? Do you still? Does it save you money???? Energy efficient???? Tell us more... Inquiring minds you know!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
I posted the same thing on the other blog...

Kelly said...

...very cool!!! I'm going to have to read more about this!!

Mary said...

Betsy: We were the first in Evansville, but they were going up all over the country. Right after we built, 2 others were built here in Evansville. A doctor built one consisting of 3 domes tied to gether!

Kelly: thanks...its a different in both good and bad ways. More next week.

Eve said...

I love this picture Mary! I'll have to visit the other blog......

Mary said...

Eve: I wish it still looked like that! There are now 2 houses to the left, one at the left end of the pond, and one across the road to the right. That first year when there were just 2 houses was great!