Monday, November 16, 2009

Hovey Lake.....

We decided to drive to Hovey Lake west of Mount Vernon, Ind. on Sunday to see if any migrating birds were there and I figured I would see lots of hawks on the wires on the way. Sure enough.....this one didn't even want to fly away! We kept creeping closer and he finally moved one pole behind us, so we left him alone.
We no sooner got to Hovey Lake and we could see a large flock of some black birds out there among the trees flapping their wings and swimming around. They immediately decided to fly further away, so we took the best shots we could. I had to put them on the computer and crop the photos to tell what they were....Double Creasted Cormorants. Some of you probably see them regularly, but I have only seen one or two. Never in a flock like this!

The trees and twigs along the roadside made it hard to get photos when they were closer, but at least this is good enough to tell what they were.
One flying alone out over the water. We saw some individual ones at a great distance diving, but again, I only have a couple distant head shots of them.
A few turtle logs out in the middle of the lake.

A heron on a log
The light seemed to be getting worse as we walked a trail we usual take between the lake and a smaller water area.
Some seeds.
In one area there were numerous trees damaged by beavers.
Timber!
We think this is the dam they are building nearby.
The clouds were getting worse, but I liked the spooky looking sun.
Leaving we saw two deer in a field.
I do believe this is the same hawk on the same pole!
He flew over to another pole.......
.....and I think he is telling me to GO AWAY!
We saw 6-7 hawks in total, but this one was the easiest to photograph.

9 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Fantastic hawk pictures Mary and I had to smile at those turtles. :)

We do not have beavers here or only otters.

Dorothy said...

Great pictures, Mary! That last one made me smile! Lucky that you have a wonderful place like that where you can go and see so much wildlife!!! Have a happy week!

Mary said...

Joan: I don't usually see beavers or otters, but see evidence of their work occasionally. I'm more apt to see muskrats than anything else.

Dorothy: Yes, it is a nice place, but without a boat I always get a bit frustrated with how far away things are.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a beautiful set of photos in the low light. It was surely a fun trip with so many animals.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Hawks can be so unpredictable.Sometimes they sit and let you take pictures and other times they fly as soon as you get near.The Cormorants are unique looking birds.We do have them here in summer.Have a fantastic day.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

Your got great pictures of the hawk, and I've never seen so many cormorants at one time. I'm glad you get to this area fairly often, since you always have some fascinating photos to share. Your photo of the sun is stunning.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful post, Mary. Love the little turtles, the hawk, and of course the deer.

Those beavers were 'busy beavers' weren't they?????

Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Wonderful series...and I must say I always love all the turtles you post!

Becky said...

My goodness, you DID have a wonderful photographing day. You always see so many good subjects. I've only seen a Cormorant a few times, but had the pleasure of taking a picture of one last week. I guess I forgot to post it.
Your turtles are still out? Ours have gone to "sleep" by now.
Have a great Wednesday.
B.