I woke up yesterday to a driveway that was mostly puddles and pouring rain.

I think we need to add some gravel to the low spots.

The squirrels were not happy about jumping puddles....

.....and looked very wet as they gobbled up seed on the walk

This one just didn't trust me and ran up the tree to wait for me to go away.

A pair of Mallards landed on the pond about the time the rain was letting up.

Looking for a nesting site maybe?

The nuthatch didn't mind the rain.

Forsythia bushes are great places to hide....unless you're red. Still a great place to hide from hawks, no matter what color you happen to be.

Titmouse against the gloomy sky

Woodpecker at the top of the maple watching for something. Took me awhile to figure out what kind.....Red-Bellied, I believe.
Later in the day we had terrible wind. I took some videos of the trees blowing just to get the sound, but they aren't that exciting to watch :-)
18 comments:
Despite the rain and wind, it looks as if your yard was quite busy today. Love the squirrel pics. Yes it does look a tad annoyed. ;o) HA
The jumping squirrel is one of the best action shots I've ever seen of the small brown critters. And you can definitely see it's duck weather. A rainy day to remember.
We had a rainy day as well! Laughed at your wet squirrels - mine were all scraggly yesterday too!
Kallen: Thanks! My yard is always full and busy at some time of the day :-) I must be the only one in the neighborhood who feeds them.
CountryDreaming: Thanks. I usually miss action shots and don't stop the action very well. Something I need to learn more about.
Shelley: The squirrels often just take the "tree limb highway"...using about 6 trees...and never even get down on the ground to get their feet wet.
Oh my Mary, you had some weather out there didn't you? Lovely series of photos. Enjoyed your post as always.
Denise: Well, today it is beautiful and the birds are singing :-)
Even though you had such yucky weather, your friends did make an appearance. I had not one bird yesterday.
The creek continues to rise, and the sump pump continues to pump. We lost the electric 8 times this morning between 5AM and 6AM. Had to hook up the generator to keep the sump pump running. The wind is horrible. It broke the doors on our garden shed, and continues to threaten. Good Day to stay inside!
Have a better one at your house.
B.
Becky: Sounds like your weather is still terrible. It is nice here today...sun for a change. Rain again tomorrow, I think.
Hi Mary,
Looks like you manage to get some great pictures whether it' rain or shine! Always like to see your squirrels and birds!
It looks like you got more rain than we did, although we had high winds for much of the day. I need to get out and clean up branches and limbs from the yard. What fun! I enjoyed your pictures.
Are there more cardinals than usual this year? Sure seems like there are.
We have your wind today. Chainsaws are going in all directions!
Beautiful rainy day pictures, Mary.. I'm sure the birds and squirrels were just glad it wasn't SNOW!!! ha
We had some rain (not too much, but what we got was heavy) but we had TONS of high winds... Now it's time to pick up sticks in the yard.
Hugs,
Betsy
Mary wonderful shots. Love the pictures of the ducks. I went out duck picture hunting today. Love ducks. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. =)
Wind is exciting to watch, especially if you are inside. I like the photos! always do...
It's wet here today too. Thank goodness it isn't sow, though. ;-)
Dorothy: Thanks!
George: During the ice storm we had to have a tree cut off down along the road...sooner or later we will have to clean up that mess. After vacation, of course :-)
Annie: Hard for me to tell. I always have a lot of cardinals. About the same as always I think.
Betsy: Thanks...have fun! My sticks will have to wait a week.
Kathy: I love ducks, too and geese.
Sandy: I worry about the wind when it whips around our house. Doesn't usually do damage, thankfully. We have several big trees and one has a broken branch hanging in it just waiting to fall in the wind.
EG: Yes...I'll take the rain for a change!
Poor squirrels!! There has hardly been a day without rain here since the begining of November and we have had some of the worst storms I have ever encountered in all my years. With that, it is getting cold too so things are not very pleasant weather-wise.
We've been finally getting a good, steady rain. The lake by me at the reservoir was so high they drained a lot of it in preparation for the next rain to fall. What a waste of water.
As usual, I enjoyed all of your shots. :-)
Post a Comment