Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Blustery day.....

The wind yesterday was very cold and biting. This poor Titmouse has really blowing in the wind.Look how his feathers are blowing and he barely has that seed in his grip!
Almost lost it before he got it down to his toes.

He kept changing directions...they do that for some reason. His head is going north, but his wing and tail are heading east!

I'm always amazed by their concentration. They work so hard on their seed. It seems like such a small reward for the work it takes to get it open!

"Corn?....is that all you've got left?"
Some aren't as grateful as the Titmouse.

The American Tree Sparrows are still hanging around. I think I counted 5 of them.

This pretty pair was a nice surprise! I thought the male was a House Finch, until I saw that female right beside him.....Purple Finch for sure!

I think she is a very sweet and beautiful little bird. One of the most attractive females that come to my feeders. This one has so many shades of brown in her feathers.

The female Red-Bellied still hanging around and in some sunlight for a change.

Checking all directions before settling at the suet.

An uneasy pair. The Wren sneaks in for a bite occasionally. I was surprised that the squirrel let the Starlings chase it away later. I didn't think "Star" was afraid of any bird!
The wind blew all day long and as Winnie the Pooh would say "It was a very blustery day!"

32 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A really neat set of photographs Mary.

John Theberge said...

The second photo is kinda humorous, his little headcrest is blowing off to one side.

Mary said...

Denise: Thanks!

John: I know! He was so funny looking and felt so sorry for him in the high wind.

Richard Lawry said...

It was a rather blustery day here yesterday. It was blowing in a cold front, and is supposed to be much colder today.

An Arkie's Musings

Leora said...

All your pretty birds are making me smile. And the squirrel, too. Looks like you made the best of a blustery day.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Good Morning Mary, It's 12 degrees here and snowing this morning. Don't know when we'll get to the grocery store today!!!!!

We had some wind yesterday also--but not nearly as much as you had.. That titmouse was about to blow away, wasn't he??? I love the little tree sparrow. And those House Finches are gorgeous--especially that female... Beautiful!

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kim said...

I just discovered your blog and I love your pictures. The titmouse pictures are great and I love how you were able to capture the beautiful detail of the feathers.

You have a a diverse bunch of wild life at your feeders!

Anonymous said...

Purple Finch looks very interesting. I've never seen this one before not even on pictures. Here we only have chaffinches...

Katney said...

Mary, here is a contest you should be aware of.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What great photos of the birds. I always love the titmouse and you got great shots. Another finch to learn, I'm so confused.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Love the titmouse - especially the one where it is trying to open the seed. I had a surprise today when I spotted a goldcrest in our garden - first time I have ever seen one. Rushed to my indentifier book. Thrilled. A x

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the pair of Purple Finches.The wind is hard on birds and humans.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

The first two pictures of the wind-blown titmouse are especially good!

Mary said...

Richies: I hate this cold! The wind just makes it worse.

Leora: Thanks :-)

Betsy: Thanks....it's 10 here today, but by the weekend will be in the 50's! Hope they are right for a change!

Kallen: Hello! Thanks for stopping by! Titmice are one of my favorites!

Aluajala: We get 3 finches...House Finch (reddish), Purple Finch, and Goldfinches! Very colorful lot!

Katney: Thanks for the link! Will check it out.

Fishing Guy: LoL...House Finches and Purple Finches are confusing for most of us. Half the time I'm not sure but the females are very distinctive. My sidebar photos show the two males and their differences.

Anne: They really concentrate to hard and it takes a lot of pecks before they get it open! Congrats on a new bird! Always a great start to a day!

Ruth: The female is so pretty, I almost prefer her to the male :-)

George: He has a favorite branch that is just right for photos! Right at my eye level and only about 5 feet away. I don't know what I will do if my dead tree starts breaking up before I get a new one growing nearby!

Rose said...

Absolutely love that very first shot of the titmouse!

Warren Baker said...

Great birds you have over there mary. glad you liked my owl and fox photo's.

Mary said...

Rose: Thanks! I like that one, too.

Warren Baker: Thanks...You have great photos!

Kathie Brown said...

I read on Shelly's blog that your are coming to Tucson soon. Is this true? When? I can give you lots of tips on where to bird. I hope you have a good time here. You female purple finch is so cute but I think the male next to it is still a house finch. He looks like he has the red head band and brownish cap of a house finch. The purple finch's rasberry coloring goes all the way across it's crown. You have a lovely photo of one in your sidebar. I know they are so difficult to distinguish but that is how I've leanred to tell them apart. Hope you don't mind me disagreeing and believe me, I could still be wrong!

Roses and Lilacs said...

I don't blame the squirrel, starlings have wicked stiletto beaks. I wish I could get a few purple finches here.
Marnie

Stacey Olson said...

Even though blustery.. a yard full of natures treasures is truely a beautiful thing..

Mary said...

Kathiesbirds: We leave here the 14th and will be in Tucson for a week. I've looked in your blog many time for suggested places to go birding and already have my sister checking some of them out that we haven't been to before. Any suggestions would be great. She lives near Sabino Canyon, so we have been there a lot. You may be right about the male finch. I thought he looked like a House Finch, but when I looked again at the Sibley field guide, I decided I might be mistaken and he seemed to be with the female. Maybe I have a mixed couple :-)

Marnie: I don't see a lot of Purple Finches either so it is not surprising that I may have the male wrong in the photo :-) Starlings are nasty...I just don't like them.

Stacey: Thanks! I do enjoy them all...except Starlings!

Kathy W said...

that titmouse bird is so cute. Mary these pictures are great. Your lucky to be able to get such great shots.

Mary said...

Kathy: Thanks! Having my feeders right outside the window makes it fairly easy :-)

Becky said...

Those Titmice are one of my favorites.
That new camera is sure getting a work out, and you are doing a terrific job!
It's -3 here right now, but rain predicted for this week-end. Can you believe it?
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Sounds like Indiana weather! We are in the low teens at the moment with 50+ predicted by Friday. Crazy or not, I'll take the 50 very happily. I need to get out somewhere for a change of scene.

CountryDreaming said...

Wow! That's got to be the most windswept Titmouse I ever did see! I also appreciate seeing the closeup of the female Purple Finch. Am not the best at identifying this species, only saw Purple Finches once and from a distance. Awesome photos!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh shame!! Poor thing!! I have to feel sorry for it with those feathers blowing up on the one side. I did not think Star could have met his match. Next time he doesn't listen, threaten to send the starlings after him. That will keep him in place!! LOL!

Mary said...

Country Dreaming: I have trouble with the House and Purple Finch males, but the females are actually easier.

Joan: LOL! He doesn't stay intimidated for long!

sandy said...

Great series and those titmouse photos, adorable!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wonderful, wonderful! I really like the windblown shots. The wind was really blowing and he was just as steady as they come.

Emily said...

oooh! So scruffy! I love when they puff themselves up in the wind like that! Makes me just want to cuddle them!

Leedra said...

Great capture on the woodpecker.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra