Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's hard for me to believe....

....but I didn't take a single photo yesterday! Didn't even pick up the camera! After falling on the ice the day before I spent most of the day sitting with an ice pack on my knee to hurry the swelling down. Just didn't do a thing all day. Stupid ice....stupid knee...stupid me for trying to walk on the stupid ice.
A few shots from the day before that I didn't post yet. Red-Bellied Woodpecker peeking at me
Red-Bellied Woodpecker female normal.....

.....and with a dye job :-) The things we do when we are bored. I did a whole series of them to make a collage....except I don't know how to make a collage and don't think I have a program that will make a collage. Oh, well.

Dove sitting

Dove eating
That's it for the left overs.
Here's a little video I took a a Downy trying to sneak some food from the suet block that a Starling was eating from. Hard to see the starling in the lower right corner.


22 comments:

Kim said...

So sorry to hear about your knee. I think most of us are walking on ice right about now and I have almost slipped a couple of times. It's hard to be a nature lover under these conditions. Just rest it up and I hope it gets back to normal soon.

Love the red bellied picture and the downy sneaking the suet was adorable.

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- Winter has been hard on us all! Rest up and get ready for spring. Have you tried Google Picassa for Photo management? I think they have a collage tool. Its a great piece of software, and the best part is that it is free.

Tom

CountryDreaming said...

Looks like either the Red-bellied female turned blue with cold or from holding her breath a long time. Actually, I like your idea best about the feather dye. Hope your knee feels better soon!

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I hope your knee gets better soon! By the way I love your dye job!

Richard Lawry said...

The ice will get you one way or another. If a red bellied woodpecker has a red head, then I believe I spotted a blue bellied woodpecker. :)

An Arkies Musings

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary, Sorry to hear that your knee is still bothering you. Falling (even when you don't get hurt) can really shake our bodies up!!! Take care of that knee..

Love your Turquoise-bellied Woodpecker.. You can sit there with your software program and make that Red-bellied any color you want!!!! FUN!!!! (What would we do if we really did see a Turquoise-bellied woodpecker in our yard???? ha ha)

Have a SAFE day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Take care of that knee.Spring is coming and you will meed to be able to walk well in order to take pictures.Nice job of the dye job.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

Good Morning!
So sorry to hear about your fall. I did that a while back at WalMart. I stepped on a little spot of something that had been spilled and did "the WalMart Sprawl".
I love your bird pictures and the dye job was fun to see!

Don Wood said...

hope your knee gets better. I have just been out with the new camera playing when I get my compuer back from menders I will post some piccies.I have a loan laptop so everything is trial and error at moment XX Don

Mary said...

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I hope this swelling goes down fast, because we leave on vacation on Saturday! It feels better today. I'm not a very patient person.

Tom: I downloaded Picassa this morning. Don't know why I haven't done it before now. Thanks for the reminder.

Dorothy: Oh, dear...I bet a WalMart sprawl hurt more than this ice! What really makes me mad is I landed on my well-padded posterior, but must have twisted the knee...my bad one of course...as I went down.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

The ice can be so treacherous - take it easy - and hope you are fully recovered very soon. Great pictures too. A x

George said...

I'm sorry your knee is bothering you; I hope you're feeling better today and can get around and take some more pictures for us.

Cicero Sings said...

Hi Mary,

So sorry you hurt your knee. Tricky business knees so take it easy. Hope it heals up well and soon!

I was going to suggest Picassa but I see Tom beat me to it. I loved the dye job!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, sorry to hear about your knee, rest up well and I hope you can get up and about again soon! Those Red-bellied close ups are great. I think that is what is called a blue rinse and is usually had by old ladies on their perms over here! (-:

sandy said...

wonderful photos and love the dye job. That top one is so cute...the one where he is looking out from behind...hope you are feeling better.

me ann my camera said...

Hi Mary, This is Ann's daughter (sometimes when I comment on her blog I call myself Dolittle's Daughter). That is an interesting dye job on the woodpecker. I think it makes him look tropical with the turquoise feathers ... too bad you couldn't magically photo edit the weather outdoors to make it seem a bit more tropical too! Mom wanted me to let you know that she will be offline for a while, but hopefully will be back sooner rather than later. Take Care.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone....still sitting. Will catch up with all of your blogs in a day or so.

Ann's daughter: I hope it isn't any serious reason she is off-line. I always wonder when she doesn't post every day.

Becky said...

I hope that knee is better. We have plenty of ice here now that the snow is melting. I have a pair of "grippers" I wear when I go out, and they have saved me from many falls.
I like the Blue Bellied. LOL.
You asked about our wood. With all these frigid nights, it's getting eaten up faster, but we're hoping it will last. We had 7 1/2 rows to begin with and we have 2 1/2 left. Each row is about 15 feet long.
B.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Are you okay now Mary?? What an awful thing to happen. I am so sorry to hear you got hurt.

I have never seen a woodpecker with blue like this. Most interesting.

Mary said...

Becky: Sounds like you might have enough to make it through winter.

Joan: Thanks! I think I prefer my woodpeckres red, but it was fun to play with :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

I'm so sorry that you fell! Ouch! I hope you'll be back to normal ASAP. Love the shots, as usual. Very cute dye job. You should try the free Picasa upload photo program. It's no Photoshop but it's a respectable program and has some neat features including collages.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Those were really neat shots of the woodpecker.
Sorry to hear you fell, I do hope that you didn't break anything.