Saturday, February 28, 2009

Geese and fungi.....

We saw lots of Canada Geese when we were at the wetlands as well as a few other things as we strolled the pathway.Who lives here? I always wonder that when I see a log or tree with a cavity.
Did a beaver do this??

This pair were enjoying a nice swim.

This one looks like he really has his chest huffed out.....mating activity? Territorial?

Some of the bystanders sharing a log.
Lots of grooming and head tucking activity.
This one looks so senuous as she rubs her feathers.
A funny pose! All puffed up and head on sideways :-)

Honking at me!
Droopy wing on the far side.
I like the orange color of these, but they were out in the water where I couldn't get close.

This and the next one I actually photographed last summer when they were new and fresh! Still there!
Darker with age.
A greenish looking one.
Lots of interesting things to find whenever I go here.
Probably my favorite place to go walking with the camera.

17 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Love how you've captured the many moods of Canada Geese in their everyday lives as you visited their home water.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures, Mary.. I wouldn't want to stick my hand into that cavity, would you????? ha ha

Love the pictures of the Canadian geese. Beautiful birds!

And YES--beavers could do that!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Lilli & Nevada said...

One can never go wrong with geese there so beautiful and graceful. Great capture on the fungus as well

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed the various poses of the geese,and the fungi,now that is pretty.
Ruth

Becky said...

Super shots Mary.
I love how you have captured all the different poses the geese can have. I never get tired of seeing them.
Lots of fungi I see still around. Ice covering everything here. A beautiful but COLD day none the less.
Have a great Saturday.
B.

Becky said...

oops, I did forget to mention, that is a Beaver chew. We have lots of these on our nature trails. One year we cut one down and mounted it on a board, and took it to the campground we were staying at for all the campers to see.
B.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Great shots, I will have to come back to these when I'm feeling better.

Leedra said...

I enjoyed this whole series. I like the old wood, the Canadian Geese and the fungi.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Jenny said...

Great fungi shots Mary even from afar. I wish I could get into knowing more about fungi, but there is just not enough time in the day for everything! Lovely Canada poses too.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Orange fungi look nice! Yesterday I found the very first fungi of this year too! Very small ones but promising )

Mary said...

I've been off sewing all morning and am behind...what's new...so will just give you all a collective "thank you" for your comments, and I appreciate each and every one. We figured that had to be a beaver cut and when we first saw the muskrat we thought it was a beaver, but the tail was wrong.

Rose said...

Great photos, Mary. I love the one with all the geese on the log. I wondered if there were a lot of geese down there. Don't get me wrong, there are still a few out at the strip pits, but hardly any compared to earlier. I have not seen any fly over here in days and days.

Mary said...

Rose: There were lots of Canadas, but the numbers of Snow Geese had dropped drastically. Will be interested to see if they moved over to Hovey Lake, when we get a chance to go.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great shots of the Canada Geese, they are such lovely colours. We get quite a lot around here too. A x

Arija said...

I s like the goose on the rolling log, training to be a log runner?

George said...

Thanks for taking us along on your very interesting wetlands walk.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Sorry I did not get to these erlier Mary but I was without an internet connection for the weekend again. Grrr!!!

I like the ducks but love that orange fungi. Excellent shots.