I believe we are up around 6000 ft. at this point. Right across from this stack of rocks is a lovely overlook area called Windy Pointe.
I like this rock stack
Circles? Rock puddles?
The view out and down
An odd rock. I saw some hawks soaring in the distance while up here but no photos.
Look to the right and you see part of the road we came up.
Mike went way out on the rocks.......no thanks.......I took photos.
One of his photos from out on the furthest rocks.
As we climbed higher we started seeing bits of snow on the ground. At one stop we saw this beautiful blooming bush, but I don't know what it is. It had red branches.
A picnic camping area. What a change from the cactus where we started!
Sunlight glistened on the pines.
In 2003 there was a bad fire on Mt. Lemmon in the Summerhaven area. You still see lots of evidence of the burn.
Summerhaven is a community at about 7000 feet and you can eat there and there are houses. Most of the houses burned in the fire. There are new ones for sale. Any takers??
You can see the burn behind the Cookie Cabin where we enjoyed a cookie......
....while watching several Stellar Jays way up in the pines. They jump from branch to branch so much, I didn't do too well with photos.
He leaped off the branch just as I shot.
Snow on the road side heading up to the ski area.
Summerhaven is a community at about 7000 feet and you can eat there and there are houses. Most of the houses burned in the fire. There are new ones for sale. Any takers??
That is the last of my Mt. Lemmon photos. The rest are a few last bird photos back at my sister's house in Tucson.
20 comments:
A great concluding episode for your fabulous trip with magnificent scenery and lovely bird life. Thanks for sharing it.
You have had a really good expedition with the camera Mary.
These are just wonderful Mary...I really need to get out west some day to see those great birds. Love the scenery!
Can't wait for the rest.
Stunning scenery, Mary.
And I particularly like the Jumpin' Jay - flash!
What a fabulous location Mt. Lemmon is! The photos are magnificently professional in terms of composition and contrast. Each one is more stunning than the last, but two I'd like to highlight in terms of skillfulness are "the view out and down" and "an odd rock." Dealing with harsh desert lighting can be tricky, but these exposures came out excellent. Love the subject matter, from the rock formations to those wonderful Western birds. Makes me want to visit Arizona.
Arija: Thanks...now I have to get busy and find some local birds :-)
Roy: Thanks! We certainly saw plenty.
Eve: The west is very different. Makes it a photographers paradise for camera addicts!
Steve: Thanks! He certainly is "flashing" for me :-)
Country Dreaming: Thanks! I think one was mine and one was Mike's. I got sort of confused once I started mixing them together. Arizona is a great place to take photos. I didn't even begin to do it justice in these few posts.
Mary.some of those shots from the mountain look-out reminded me of the song'How Great Thou art'.When I look down from lofty mountin grandeur...Anyway,beautiful pictures.
Blessings,Ruth
That red barked bush could be a variety of manzanita.
Ruth: Perfect! I'd love to stand there on the mountain top singing that song...one of my favorites :-)
Katney: I looked it up and I think you are right! Thanks!
The best scenery yet! Thanks for taking us along on your vacation Mary. I've loved it!
Just beautiful! I've enjoyed your trip so much!! Wonderful shots of the birds!
Oh Mary... I have SO enjoyed all of your Tuscon pictures. The trip up that mountain was incredible. You know me---I would have been with your hubby out on those rocks!!! ha
Love the birds also... Thanks SO much!
Hugs,
Betsy
What an amazing place - of course I LOVE the bird photos.
Those rocks sure are interesting, but you'd better watch your step. You were up so high. I love seeing different parts of the country.
Raining here tonight, and very windy.
B.
Those are fantastic rock formations Mary. Love them and the vista from that height. You could have shared your cookie with me you know. LOL!! Another beautiful post, thanks for sharing.
I just love the rock formations -- they look like larger versions of some formations we saw in the Ozarks. Thanks for taking us along as you went up the mountain.
Oh, these are wonderful..love that quail. It sure is a pretty thing.
This place is a fantastic vacation spot. Photos are marvellous. Mike was brave, I think I would stay just where you were and take photos :)
Great photos and especially the ones with the view of the hills and rock formations etc.... We almost...almost....booked a room in Sedona for next week, but then it ends up we may be going up to my sis' up at the central coast Pismo area....
maybe...not sure....
Jenny: We had a good time!
Dorothy: Thanks!
Betsy: I wasn't feeling real well for part of the time and didn't think rock climbing would be a good idea :-) Besides my camera is so heavy, I probably would have over balanced and fallen off the mountain!
Helen: Thanks!
Becky: High up doesn't bother me as long as there is a wall or something there between me and nothing.
Joan: LOL! It was a pizza size cookie so we could have shared it with you as well! But I don't mail, you have to visit.
George: Rock formations are so amazing anywhere. YOu wonder what all happened to cause them.
Rose: It's a great place to visit and so different.
Denise: I was happy to stay put and let him walk out there. I could see just fine where I was :-)
Sandy: Definiely go to Sedona sometime. We went through there last year and it is so different from this...red rock country and beautfiul.
Post a Comment