Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I saw him!......

I was watching the birds in the backyard and taking photos, when I looked up and there on the wall running around the yard..... .....someone else was watching, too!
Look at that concentration!
There had been about 6 doves and a half dozen quail feeding when he showed up.
He looks like he is smiling at me!.....or maybe he just looks hungry.
He stood up and sharpened his claws on the nearest tree ...
...and then jumped down. He walked behind the wall and came up again on the other end of the wall and then gave up on finding dinner and left.
At least now I don't have to be frustrated at not seeing him!

There is an arch by the front door that is covered with a climbing rose bush. I showed it in bloom last year but it is too early this year. However, the Cactus Wren was holding a "watch" from up there.

It was a gloomy day and we did some shopping and played miniature golf, so no new birds to report. However, the little strip mall nearby has the coolest weather vanes and I wanted photos of them.
This is the mall and on each tower there is an Arizona animal.
Coyotes....
.....jack rabbit.....
......a pack rat......
.....a quail family.....
.....and a roadrunner!
We are taking another all day trip tomorrow, but it will include some birding opportunities :-)

26 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I AM NOT GOING TO SPEAK TO YOU FOR A WEEK!! I AM GREEN WITH JEALOUSY AND ENVEY, AND I HATE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO LUCKY!!

LOL!! What an absolutely fantastic bit of luck here Mary!! Wow!! I am at a loss for words. Thank you SO much for sharing with us this beautiful moment!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an encounter! A phenomenal luck really!
A collection of weathercocks is nice too! Yesterday night we looked at pics of roadrunners in the interenet with my hubby ) They're cute!

Kim said...

I cannot even imagine seeing one of thos with my own two eyes, and then to be able to get a picture!

Awesome!

Kathy W said...

Oh wow. LOL I think it would scared me to much to have taken its picture. Thats one big cat!

Anonymous said...

Oh, lucky you! I'm so glad you got to see your "nemesis species"

Anonymous said...

So you have seen him at last, well done Mary.

CountryDreaming said...

Love how the bobcat is sharpening his claws just like the tamest little kitten. Big or little, cats are so cute!

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

How very cool! The pictures are great and I love all the weathercocks they are really neat!

abb said...

Proof positive why one should NEVER be without one's camera!

What wonderful photos of that bobcat, Mary! And those weathervanes are fabulous.

Melissa said...

I love your Arizona posts. I keep up with your blog when you're there. Hey, I've seen the stuff you photograph around here.

George said...

The only thing I can say is WOW!

Don Wood said...

That Jack rabbit has got big ears!! hope you enjoy your trip XX Don

Dorothy said...

Mary, What wonderful photos of the Bobcat! I love to see animals in the wild! The weather vanes are interesting!

Rose said...

I would love to have been with you when you saw him! Isn't he a beautiful cat?

And love those weathervanes.

Roses and Lilacs said...

How wonderful to finally see the cat. I would dearly love to glimpse one someday. I know there aren't any in my area but we do see coyote often.
Marnie

Cicero Sings said...

Oh you lucky gal ... to see a bobcat! I think that would be the highlight of the trip for me!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Beautiful! How lovely for you and lucky you were there at just the right time. Thanks for sharing the moment. A x

Jenny said...

Glad you got your Bobcat moment Mary. How amazing to have a creature like that in ones back garden! Love the weather vanes. Look forward to your birdy outing tomorrow. (-:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Here Kitty Kitty, Mary says!!!! What a beautiful cat!! Wow--I'm glad you captured him! Gee--don't you feel as if you are in a different world out there in Arizona???? WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing..
Hugs,
Betsy

Arija said...

WOW!!!! What a pussy to have visiting yoour backyard!!! I've only ever seen one in a Zoo, worse luck.
Thank you for your kind support recently. Not out of the woods yet by a long shot, but mending.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I think that Bobcat is too close for comfort..
Blessings,Ruth

Kathie Brown said...

I can't believe you saw that bobcat! I have never seen one in the wild here! What a treat!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow! I would have been excited and scared of that cat. How exciting!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That is outstanding, what a neat Bobcat.

Kingsdowner said...

Yay, a roadrunner!

Leedra said...

I like the first photo where he is just barely looking through the limbs at you.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra