Friday, February 13, 2009

Tucson dreaming.....

Since I'll be busy most of the day packing, I dug into the archives.
This will be my view every morning next week! My sister's front windows look right out at the Catalina foothills. Lovely view! I love to sit there with my tea and watch the sun rise or the Gila woodpeckers sitting on the cacti.
I don't usually post older stuff, but most of these are places we went other years while in the Tucson area and things that I won't see this year.

Tombstone, Arizona cemetery.....a fun place to read the tombstones

Gunfight at the OK Corral......many of our photos from that year were before we were totally digital and aren't on the computer.

Mike always tries to go to some spring training games if it's the right time of year.
Last Friday Mike posted photos from the Titan missile site if that interests you.....pretty neat and scary at the same time. http://www.andthingsthatgo.blogspot.com/

This was last year....the infamous rattler's that I almost stepped on and thankfully they were too occupied to notice me! That is one that I definitely don't want to repeat this year!!

One of the many cholla cacti......I'm sure I will take lots of new photos of these! Maybe I can practice my macro shots on all the cacti.

Beads at the Gem and Mineral show. This is just one booth out of 100's.

This silver deer statue was in the Sedona area. I thought it was beautiful!

Silver eagle by the same artist. I wrote down his name at the time, but have no idea where I put it.
Hope to see these! Two Gila Woodpeckers on my sister's tree in the backyard.

One of her Agave plants had a large flower stalk growing last year. We will be too early for wildflowers this year, I think. It was late March when we went last year.

This lovely white mission out in the desert was fascinating. It was having some restoration work done on it, so the photos were not as nice as I would have liked. I believe it's name is the San Xavier Mission.

Look at the details over the door!
Inside was equally ornate and lovely
A bird I never identified.

Dorothy has several pet tortoises.....they were up and about last year, but may still be in hibernation this year.

She also has a yard full of bunnies! And of course lots of quail.

I posted this once before, but I like this wall at the Tohono Chul Park
And this ground spider web was so cool! I think we saw this in the Sedona area.
Now I'm really starting to think about vacation......let's go!

16 comments:

Kim said...

Great photos. The first one w/ the mountains is so pretty. I cannot believe how close you got to the rattler!! I would die of fear.

Great variety of wildlife too.

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- Have fun on your trip, I can't wait to see more tortoise and other reptile pics.

Tom

CountryDreaming said...

It's a small world. I just came across someone else on the internet last night who plans to attend the Tucson gem and mineral show. Wow, the mind reels from coincidence. Anyways, love your picture of the bunny ... Could it be a jack rabbit?

Mary said...

Kallen: I jumped 10 feet when I looked down and saw them. Then I came back just close enough to take photos using the zoom.

Tom:Her tortoises may still be hiding and asleep when we get there, but I'll try :-) Will look for other interesting reptiles.

CountryDreaming: I think we arrive on the last weekend of it this year. It's a really huge show spread out all over the city. I don't know bunnies from jackrabbits, but they are very cute and eat the grass in her backyard :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Good Morning Mary, Hope you have a wonderful trip. I'll be anxious to see your photos when you get home.

We're also going to be gone a couple of days--celebrating Valentine's Day doing some 'waterfalling'...

Happy Valentine's Day,
Betsy

Mary said...

Betsy: Have a great time! I don't think you will ever run out of waterfalls! I'll be posting while I'm gone.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

If those pictures are any indication,you should have a great time.I will be waiting to see the new shots.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your trip. I know you will. The pictures you posted today were all so interesting and now, you say, you will see different things ... so we await.

Dorothy said...

Oh, what beautiful pictures! You're going to have such a great time! Take lots of pictures to share with us here. Happy Valentine's Day! ♥ ♥ ♥

Becky said...

OK, I'm packing, and will be ready in 10 minutes! LOL. What a wonderful place to vacation. You have wonderful shots. Those woodpeckers look very much like our Flickers.
Have a super time and get home safe.

2sweetnsaxy said...

So many great shots and so many interesting things. I've got so much to comment on that it's too much so just let me say I really enjoyed these! And yes, please watch out for the rattlers.
:-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I will be there in 10 minutes also so save space for me!! :) Absolutely wonderful post Mary. There is so much to comment on but I think I like those silver statues best. The work on that Mission is stunning in its detail. That first picture is exactly what I would like to wake up to every morning and the rattler... well the only thing I can say is that I am glad I missed out on that. LOL!!

Rose said...

Hope you are posting pictures while you are gone....have fun!

Mary said...

LOL! Becky and Joan....If you can both pack in 10 minutes and get here, come right ahead!

Katney said...

If you should head south toward Sierra Vista, my friend Pat has a quiltshop there. Tumbleweed Quilts--on El Camino behind the Toyota dealership. I thought up the name and my brother made the rustic sign inside the shop.

sandy said...

wow, great set of photos. My dad lived in Tombstone up until 2001 when he passed away. I use to go there a couple times a year. I remember that cemetary too..