Aqua Caliente Park is a beautiful place!
The lake near the front is lined around one side with huge palm trees giving shade and beauty both.
The lake is full of water fowl and the mountains in the distance make a lovely view.
I know most of you see these duck species where you live, but I was thrilled to see such a mixture and so willing to pose :-) How many different species do you see in this photo?
American Wigeons
The feathers are so pretty on this bird.
The Shovelers spent all their time going in circles together.
A closer view of the heads.
Ring Necked Ducks
I love the black and white color and the bill.
Pintail
Pintail again.
There were lots of Mallards and several had "funny" tufts of feathers sticking up on their heads.
A new hairdo?
But this duck took the prize for the "slept in" look.
There are trails to hike and another lake further back.
Another new bird for me! It is either the Red-Shafted form of the Northern Flicker, or a Gilded Flicker.
Which ever one it is, it is new to me and the red "mustache" is a feature for both.
A beautiful bird, it was way up in a tree entertaining all of us down below. There were about 7 of us watching this bird. Another birder in the group was from Michigan :-)
The walking area led through an area surrounded by Mesquite trees....you see lots of those out here. They are hard to photograph birds in.
We saw this sparrow on the ground below....a group of 3-4. I do not know which sparrow it is. Very plain chested, light grey, stripe through the eye, small brown stripes on crown.

This was a really wonderful park to visit and not crowded.
We also went to Sabino Canyon and I will post that eventually. Did not see much wildlife, but the scenery is so beautiful.
Not sure of our plans for tomorrow....our last full day. I have developed a real stuffed up head/allergy problem that is making me pretty droopy.
18 comments:
What a terrific collection of ducks Mary. They are fantastic. I love the green head of the Shovler.
You are spoiling us this week with all of these wonderful birds!! Absolutely lovely. I love the photo of the duck w/ the ruffled feathers. LOL!
Love all the ducks Mary. Especially the "slept in look". How in the world did those feathers get to look like that? What a beautiful place! It looks dry out there. Have they had much rain?
Beautiful Flicker, whichever it is. Looks larger than ours back East.
Have another fun day, and lets hope your allergy takes a holiday.
12" of snow dumped upon us!
B.
Your trip is fabulous Mary...thanks for bringing us along!!
Lovely duck images Mary.
Wow! What a showing! I bet you are having a blast...that ring-necked duck is sure a handsome fellow.
Hope you feel better soon.Your posts are so enjoyable and informative.I may never get to see some of these places in person,but I can sure enjoy them this way.Thanks.
BLessings,Ruth
Amazing series of photos. Looks like a place I would love, one with water. :-D Seeing ducks with that little tuft on tops of their heads makes me smile and wonder how it got there.
Great bird and sky shots.
Hi Mary, that Ring-necked duck is a handsome one! I don't know if you want me to id your birds or not, but I think your flicker is red-shafted Northern Flicker because of the shape of the black bit on the chest. Another handsome bird! He was definitely showing himself off.
Also, looking in the Western Sibley, I think your sparrow might be a Rufous winged Sparrow. Are you near the bottom of Arizona? That's where this sparrow is found.
Hope you have a fabulous last day of your holiday and that your allergy problem clears up fast!
Mary, you had a wondeful day to be sure. Your flicker is the red-shafted northern variety. I can see the red lining to its wings and underneath its tail in the photos. I often see the red-shafted form there. I have seen up to 4 or 5 at one time! As for your sparrrow, I believe it is the Rufous-winged variety as Jenny mentioned above. Look at those two dark "whisker" marks coming off of the bill. The more solitary Rufous-capped only has one. Sometimes you can see the rufous wing patches too, but they are not visible in any of these photos. As for your duck with the funny feathers, I am wondering if that is a genetic mutation. I have never seen it in a duck before but I have seen it in chickens where the feathers emerge upside down giving the bird that "fluffy" appearance!
What a great birdy day. I thought I'd IDed all the ducks, but I missed the shoveler. Isn't Arizona birding wonderful?
Thank you all for the nice comments and thank you Jenny and Kathie for your identifications! I'm always happy to learn from those who know what a bird is. I don't have a western guide, but need to get one, obviously if I'm going to come here once a year:-)
I'm having a great time on your trip!! Your photography is outstanding! Are you using a tripod for these? Loved seeing the variety of ducks!
Dorothy: I never use a tripod.
Sorry I'm late Mary... We've been gone all day--and I'm trying to catch up... Love the pictures especially that colorful flicker.. What a neat bird..
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Betsy
Mary another great set of photos. Those duck photos are wonderful. I think I need to get me a book on all the different birds. =) Hope you get to feeling better.
Mary: What a neat look at the birds yopu have found, very nice collection. That was a beautiful wood pecker.
Post a Comment