Saturday, December 11, 2010

Today's weather: Scattered flurries of snow (geese, that is!)......

We made our first trip over to Henderson Slough in Kentucky to see the migrating geese yesterday. I get so excited every year about these geese! We weren't disappointed. It was a great day....not too cold, and clear and sunny.
When we got there the largest mass was sitting in this open field, really easy to see. I took this distant shot to show how far away they are and the size of the flock. There happens to be an elevated viewing stand right by that field, so we scurried up to the top to watch them.
This shot was taken later.....I didn't notice until I got home the bird up in the tree! It has to be an eagle. Too big for anything else. Every year we have been there, we have seen an eagle to two hanging around.

Right after we arrived they took to the air en masse. I don't know how they keep from running into each other! It's an amazing sight watching them lift off and fill the sky. They seem to know where the hunting boundaries are and just flew in a fairly tight circle and landed back in the same field.
Wow....that's a lot of Snow Geese!

Here they are coming back down.

I don't know how they pick out their spot and squeeze into it.

Later on while we were checking some other areas, they left that field and settled in one of the corn fields. the corn is left in sections and the field is flooded to make a nice place for them. They sit way down at the end of the rows....away from the road....so this shot is cropped a lot. There are ducks near the front, but I can't tell what kind....usually a bunch of Mallards.

There are also White-fronted Geese in the mix and this year there didn't seem to be as many and they stayed sort of by themselves at one end or near the back. Probably some Canada Geese there, too.

I cropped this shot of the air because I like the depth of the geese in it.

I cropped this for a better view of the geese. The Snow Geese come in two phases....white and dark. The dark adults have white heads. Mixed in also are the juveniles of both the dark and whites.
Another cropped shot.
On the other side of the road they have flooded an entire field with water. It is frozen at the moment and there were about six swans walking around on the ice or lying there. They always keep separate from the geese. I'm guessing Tundra Swans, but I can't really tell.

A couple preening.

A pair of Mallards wanted to join them.

I took a short video of them in the air.
I can't wait to go back over and check on them again next week sometime. They will hang around for several months if we are lucky.

16 comments:

Arija said...

My mouth is still open at the magical sight and I am so glad you took the video so we can hear them honking. I have always adored geese and snow gees in particular and have no chance to see them for myself unless I win the lottery and cross the ocean by ship since flying puts me into heart failure. So you see how very grateful I am that I your virtually view them through your eyes.

Cicero Sings said...

That is one lot of geese! It is amazing how they can fly enmasse like that with no accidents -- we shud have such traffic control!

Naquillity said...

that's incredible. i've never seen so many geese in one place. and that video is perfect. i love to hear the geese honking. thanks for sharing. have a great day.

Mary said...

Arija: I wish I knew how to remove that irritating background noise. The video always looks great on my screen, but not so clear in the post.

Cicero: They are amazing to watch.

Naquillity: It's fun to watch and listen to them.

Dorothy said...

Wow! That's a LOT of Geese!! We never see Snow Geese here. No wonder you like to go there for this amazing sight! I liked the video, too!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Unbelievable Mary... It is truly RAINING GEESE. You got there at the perfect time... I have never seen so many at one time. Where do they winter?

HUGE cold front and more snow coming... Be prepared....

Have a wonderful weekend and stay WARM.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I would say you had a blizzard of snow geese. You got some great pictures. It must have been thrilling to see them all in person.

Mary said...

Dorothy: Thanks...they are so neat to see.

Betsy:They winter further south, but sometimes stay here for quite a while.

George: Blizzard, it is! Such fun! I'll take them over snow any day.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...that is just a spectacular sight... almost unbelievable!!
Thanks for sharing that sight and the video..: }

Ruth Hiebert said...

It really is snowing geese.This is an amazing sight.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

WOW, I've never seen so many birds in one setting! The sound of them taking flight must have been deafening.
B.

Judy said...

Wow!! That is a lot of geese! I was not able to see many of the Canada geese flying this year, so your shots are sort of a consolation prize for me!! Thank you!

Rose said...

What fun they must have been to see! I know I would get so excited I couldn't contain it. I hope someday we can get to come down and see them.

Leanne said...

Great to hear the noise in the video. What a wonderful sight it must have been watching them in the air.

FAB said...

Awesome and spectacular sight. I have seen 30-50,000 Pink-footed Geese but only the odd one or two Snow Geese ... maybe one day.

Thanks for sharing this magical moment Mary. FAB.

sandy said...

wow, beautiful shots of the geese. I need to bump you up farther on my blog roll so I don't miss these posts. I don't get around all that much on blogs anymore.