Thursday, December 16, 2010

More left overs......

We got icy rain last night. I forgot to post last night and don't have anything really new, but some more shots from the snowy day I didn't post yet. How to frustrate a Blue Jay (a.k.a. the Peanut Thief).......string some peanuts on a wire....
.......he was really irritated that he couldn't just grab one and take off with it! I actually strung them for the Titmouse, who I thought might have fun pecking on them to get the peanuts out.

Mike spotted this squirrel way out on the frozen lake getting a drink?

The Cardinals love this little clip on dish that is intended for mealworms. However I just put sunflower seeds in it.

My "Christmas Card" Downy shot :-)

I loved this photo of the male Downy peeking around the trunk of the tree.

Downys are just so photogenic in winter and snow.
The Goldfinch was peacefully eating all by itself at this feeder when the Downy suddenly hopped on to join it.
"Just keep your distance, please."

The female House Finch in the snow.

And the "Brat Pack" of House Sparrows.......always in a large group. This is only s few of the 40+ that were eating all the seeds on the deck.

16 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ...like your Bluejay trying to take of with the peanuts..He must be wonder "I done this before what's going on"
With all the bird colors and your bows and wreath of peanuts you have a Christmas party for the birds in your back yard!! : }
Enjoyed the birds photo's!!

Naquillity said...

beautiful captures. i can't believe you had 40+ sparrows on your deck eating. wow~ hope all is well. have a great day.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Christmas Card Downy is beautiful.
Blessings,Ruth

abb said...

Love your ~downy~ christmas card.

Unknown said...

For a so-so day a pretty interesting post. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.

Anonymous said...

Hardly leftovers Mary, they are special.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful pictures, Mary... The birds are lucky to have us --especially this time of year. I don't have House Sparrows (thank goodness)--but do have a ton of Goldfinches and House Finches this year.

Love that one picture --your Christmas Card Downy shot.... SO PERFECT...
Hugs,
Betsy

Katney said...

Do you just have more interesting birds, or am I just unobservant?

Dorothy said...

Great shots of your birds! What a neat 'trick' to play on the Blue Jay!! I have a lot of hungry little sparrows, too.

Eve said...

Love the wren header Mary! What a bunch those houseys!! I love the trick peanuts! Great idea!

Mary said...

Grammie G: The Blue jay was quite put out that I didn't make it easy for him :-)

Naquillity: I would prefer 40 goldfinches, but I guess the House Sparrows have to eat, too.

Ruth: Thanks!

Annie:Thanks!

Gary: I got a lot of shots on that snowy day..haven't taken much since.

Roy: Thank you...want some of those House Sparrows?

Betsy: Lucky you! This many House sparrows is unusual for me. They bred well this year and then stayed.

Katney: The snow brings out every bird in the area. I'm sure yours are just as interesting.

Dorothy: They certainly entertain me all day when the weather is bad.

Eve: More house sparrows than I want. They won't go away.

Kerri Farley said...

Pretty shots!!

George said...

I could take leftovers like this every day of the week.

Mary said...

Keri: Thanks!

George: Thanks!

jeanlivingsimple said...

I love Carolina Wrens! All your images are good. I really like shot of the bird mooning you.:)

Becky said...

It looks like I see snow on some of your shots. Good winter birds shots Mary. I don't like the Bluejays. They are such pigs. I did find out they like the corn cobs I put on the ground, and will leave the feeder alone for the little birds.
B.