Monday, December 27, 2010

The new lens.....

Mike gave me a new lens for Christmas. When it comes to talking camera stuff, I don't know what I am talking about, but this is what I had and now have. My camera is a Fujifilm FinePix S100FS with a built in 28-400mm 14.3x lens. I can't change lens on this camera. The new lens is a Raynox High Definition telephoto conversion lens 2.2x and can be screwed onto the old lens....making it long and heavy. Now, that probably makes sense to some of you, even if it means "blah blah blah" when I hear it. All of these photos were taken through the glass by my front door and are not cropped at all. This first photo is my favorite squirrel with the old lens at its maximum setting.
This is the same squirrel on the feeder hanging there with the new lens! I can't wait to try this on the Snow Geese in Henderson and other far away birds!

What I really like, is that I can back off.....oops, I went too far and hit the wide angle spot. While watching the squirrel, a Red-breasted Nuthatch landed on the suet that is closest to the front door....not more than a few feet away.......

.....and I could still take great photos of this bird that was practically within touching reach with the same big lens on the camera. That should come in handy, since I never know what I will be shooting from one minute to the next.

I had to take a few more nuthatch shots since this guy doesn't come around much.

A blue jay in the same tree.
I know that isn't much with the new lens, yet, but I need to get out where I can experiment in the wild more. Maybe later today.

13 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

So fun and exciting to get a new toy. I sure would like a telephoto lens! It is on my wish list. Perhaps I'll break down and get one for my birthday. We'll see.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are having fun,I can tell.These pictures are great and I know you will enjoy using this equipment.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

Wow! Mary, this is great! That new lens really makes a big difference! You will have a ton of fun shooting your birds!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a fabulous gift, Mary. Congrats... You will love the new lens--but can you hold it steady... Apparently, you can since your pictures are excellent.

Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenn Jilks said...

Very much fun! Congrats on the new equipment.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Great gift . New equipment.
Great bird Photographs.
Have fun.
Mary Ann

me ann my camera said...

You will enjoy your new lens so much! It seems to work great and you have such good results already.
I hope your Christmas was merry as was mine.
Ann

Becky said...

Congrats Mary. I'd love a new lens for my camera, but mine is a retractable lens and can't be changed. You are doing great. Keep up the super work.
B.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ...Things look great, and I would love a new blah-blah blah!!!! one to. lol : }

George said...

Congratulations on your new lens. You will soon have many wonderful closeups for us to enjoy.

Kelly said...

A 400mm lens!!! You lucky duck! I only have a 200mm, but I use a 2x extender to pop it up to 400mm. Have fun with your new toy. You're already off to a fab start....love the squirrel and blue jay!!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone. I hope this gets me some good photos of things that are further away, but I will have to get a monopod or something to help me support it without shaking! I never feel my photos are as clear and crisp as ones I see on other blogs. Kelly...if you only have a 200mm lens, you get awfully great photos with it!

Eve said...

The lens is just all the more fun for us Mary!! Love the RB Nuthatch!!