Monday, December 20, 2010

Red Bellied Woodpecker, Starling, House Sparrows......

I've been busy and haven't taken many photos the last few days. We walked outside just as the Red-Bellied woodpecker was chasing another bird out of the ash tree. Then he sat up there making "chig chig" noises at it to make sure it stayed out of his tree.
Later I saw him on the deck getting a bit of suet. Sorry about the vertical stripes. I was shooting from half way across the room through the open vertical blinds. I was afraid to move closer and scare him away.

He did seem to appreciate the suet offering.

A couple of Starlings have shown up to get suet, too. As long as it is only a couple, I might let him have some.

We stopped at a Taco John restaurant and there was a tree right outside that was covered in House Sparrows all chittering away very noisily. Made me smile at the time. I think they were ordering some Potato Oles from the drive-through window :-)

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like the woodpecker is in jail.He is still a beautiful bird and the stripes don't interfere with that.
Yikes,so many sparrows.
Blessings,Ruth

Naquillity said...

i truly love stopping by here. you always have such beautiful shots. we must be on the same wavelength because i have a sqirrel & red bellied woodpecker post up at my place. you'll be excited to know i picked up a suet cage & two different suet cakes yesterday. i'll be putting them up today. I can't wait to see who shows up.

we had starlings a few summers ago in large groups. they hung in our yard a lot. now i don't see even one. i don't know what happened.

the other day we went to visit my husband's family and stopped at McDonald's. on our way out i saw several black birds in a tree with one single cardinal to set them off. it was a beautiful sight. i wish i'd had my camera in my hand but it was in the back so i could eat, sigh.

your squirrel pics below are adorable. i loved watching those two romp yesterday across the road. it was a sight.

hope all is well. have a great day.

Dorothy said...

Those are great pictures of the woodpecker, Mary! That tree is really FULL of Sparrows! For some reason I'm not so fond of Sparrows and Starlings. Reckon it's because they are so greedy?

Mary said...

Ruth: I think they are the prettiest of our woodpeckers.

Naquillity: Glad to see you have a woodpecker even before you got the suet up! Large groups of starlings seem to come and go depending on the weather conditions and the food in the fields. Squirrels are so much fun to watch.

Dorothy: I don't think anyone really likes Starlings or House Sparrows which makes you wonder why someone brought them to this country from Europe in the first place?? They breed too well in our large country of wide open spaces.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Your Woodpecker is very nice...love the red color of his head!!
Starlings and House Sparrows in moderate numbers are ok (2-5)lol...but these can be a nuisance and can clean your feeder out in no time!!
I have been busy and somewhat overwhemled with to much "Martha" stuff (and I don't mean Stewart either) lol !!
Will I ever learn!!
How are you doing..are you living up to your name (Mary) lol ; }
Thanks for the card!!

Anonymous said...

I think those Starlings might help themselves Mary.{:)

Kelly said...

...liked your comment about the sparrows! I hope your starling population stays low. Yesterday when we arrived home our roof looked fuzzy...it was because it was coated with a starling flock. "Jeez, mom! People are really going to start calling you the weird bird lady if those starlings don't go away!"