I found some images from last Thursday that I never got around to posting. We drive up to Indy later this afternoon and fly out early Tuesday morning.
I hope our plane will remain rightside up unlike this little skipper who is trying the upside down position!
I finally got 2-3 photos of the Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. I've been trying to get this critter for several weeks.
They are such strange looking critters! The shape of their body and that tail area remind me of a crawfish, their body color looks like a bee, and the clear wings are like dragonflies and they buzz around like hummingbirds! There was an actual hummingbird flying around the same flowers and it was interesting to compare their hovering activities!
Hovering
I saw a dragonfly that I did not recognize.
A rather short fat body, brown....with wings that have patches of color.
If I've seen it before, I don't recognize it here.
Another shot.
The Tiger Swallowtail ......
....and this black swallowtail were very busy that day.
Back home the wrens are still keeping me busy watching their feeding.
I saw a dragonfly that I did not recognize.
If I've seen it before, I don't recognize it here.
Back home the wrens are still keeping me busy watching their feeding.
15 comments:
What a great supply of left-overs! :D The clearwing hummingbird moth is such an unusual-looking creature. Never saw one of those before. I especially like the shot of it hovering.
Hope you two have a fantastic time while you're away and hope the weather is pleasant. Looking forward to seeing posts about your time away.
Beautiful butterfly images Mary.
Wonderful shots. That insect at the top reminds me of what we call cicada killers around here. Not sure of the offical name of them but you will see them where cicadas tend to be at.
Mary: A cool capture of the different critters.
Great great photos Mary! Your dragonfly might be an Eastern Amberwing. Your clearwing shots are supurb!!
Hope you have a fabulous time.I am sure gald you posted these pictures,they are lovely.
Blessings,Ruth
Wonderful pictures!! Love the one serving up the spider for supper. Have a safe and fun trip!!
Great shots of that Clearwing and yes it is a weird looking thing. I guess it's the duck-billed Platypus of the insect world! That is a fecal (spelling?) sac that the wren is taking out I think which is poo all wrapped up neatly. Not as apetising as the spider! (-: Have a great time in Seattle Mary.
Great pictures, Mary... Hope you all have a safe and WONDERFUL trip.
Hugs,
Betsy
Wonderful pictures, Mary.
I photographed something this morning, was not sure what it was. Now I think it was a Hummingbird Moth. Will have to check my photos out. Love the Tiger Swallowtail.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Lovely! I have only been lucky enough to see a Hummingbird Moth twice. The first time I rushed home to look it up to see what it was. You were so lucky to have caught shots of it. Have a good trip. A x
WOW, WOW, WOW stunning moths and flutterbies, hope you have a nice vacation.
You have so many great "winged" photos! Have a safe and fun trip!!
Stunning shots Mary!! I wish I could capture some of these insects like this.
Post a Comment