Monday, August 3, 2009

A Swing with a View....

Our weather this past weekend was so mild....not typical...that I spent a lot of time in the swing in the front yard watching the bird activity. I intended to read, but there was so much going on, that my camera was in my hands constantly. A rather "messy" view on its own, but the birds make up for the view.
This was a typical shot, if not a good one....one bird taking off at top left, another at the suet eating, and a Titmouse zooming in to the green top feeder.

Another hodgepodge......a Hairy Woodpecker far left, Downy woodpecker next to it, a young House Sparrow on the limb, while 2 Goldfinches ignore everyone else.

In the middle of all the other bird activity, there were 4 hummingbirds zooming around trying to claim the two feeders as theirs or sitting on the vine like this one!
The hummer checked out the Black-eyed Susans, too.
A young Cardinal on the squirrel feeder.
I never realized that so much happened on the garage roof. Here 2 doves are enjoying the high perch.
Then this pack of young sparrows came along to chase them away. Maybe the heat in the shingles was attractive on this cool late afternoon.
The driveway was equally busy. This young Chipping Sparrow was looking for seeds. One of my cats was lying there watching it. The Chipping Sparrows seem to be either very brave or very foolhardy....totally ignoring the cats.

An odd angle for this White-Breasted Nuthatch which was in the tree right over my head!

Looks like a Song Sparrow in the tray feeder.
Titmouse on top waiting to drop down and join the finch.
House Finch on the bird bath getting a drink.
A "flurry of finches" on the green tray.
Can you see the Goldfinch in the flowers? They love the seeds.
I can see the gourd from the swing and one of the House Wrens likes to sit with his/her beak sticking out. Is this a way to keep anyone else from getting in? Looking for the mate to return?

One of the wrens came regularly with morsels. Sometimes he sits on the rim of the basketball goal first and would shake his wings like a young bird does. They he would fly in the hole.

Even the butterflies kept flitting through the yard and over the house. This Tiger Swallowtail stopped in the garden for a couple of minutes, but mostly they just flew on by.
I really didn't realize there was so much going on out there. I'll have to sit in the swing more often. However, if I try to read or sew, I get distracted by all these birds!

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That sounds like an ideal way to spend a day Mary. I would not even attempt to do anyhting else as I know hor distracting nature can be. Sometimes I am talking to someone and my eyes will be following a butterfly or bug. LOL!! Rude aren't I? :)

Eve said...

Tell Joan I do the same thing!!! Ha Ha!! I will change the subject on a dime when some fun critter goes by! Great bunch of birds Mary, you always do such a nice job on your posts! The hummingbird and with the flowers is a wonderful photo. Love the new header!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh my,so much to see and so little time to read.I too would have opted for the camera,after all, ther's a long winter coming,and reading can happen then.Thanks for the time on the swing and all the pictures from there.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Joan: Rude? No, I think we all do that as Eve says below :-) Whey you are keyed to photography and animals life, you just don't ever stop looking around you.

Eve: Well, I guess we are all in the same club as far as watching everything around us!

Ruth: It was so pleasant. We are have a brief spell of mild temps and no humidity problem. I sat there for hours, which is why I am now behind on all my blog visits once again. I did do some hand quilting yesterday while watching.

Dorothy said...

Wow! You really DO have a lot going on around your house!!! It must keep you busy trying to capture it all!!! Good shot!!

Jenny said...

What a great way to spend time in the garden. I would do right now only the neighbours are being noisy right now! I'm pretty rude too. Looking at birds and butterflies when someone is talking to me. I also interupt when I hear a bird with....'oh, there's a Goldcrest' etc! I'm BAD!
Like Evie, I love that hummer hovering over the flowers, with it's whirring wings all askew! And I also love that Finch poking its head our of the gourd! Great post Mary.

Becky said...

How nice to have a swing to relax and watch your birds. I make several trips daily in my yard to look for wildlife. My flowers and feeders are all scattered around.That way no matter where I am in the house I can see some birds.
B.

Creative Cards said...

Wow what a fabulous way to spend the day. When I had surgery on my leg back in June I had to take it easy for two weeks so I got comfortable in my back yard...and my camera kept me busy and entertained by the bird feeders. I even had a Red Breasted Nuthatch come and land on my leg...they are such an awseome little bird. So I know how exciting your back yard feeders can be. Excellent images

DeniseinVA said...

What bliss, to be around so many feathered friends.

sandy said...

Hey looks like a great place to read and get a different perspective on the birds.

Leedra said...

Great photo of the hummingbird checking out the black eyed susans.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun


Leedra’s Greeting Cards


Photography By Leedra

Kelly said...

I love all your birds......but to go back to the first photo. Do you have one of those really cool octagonally shaped homes?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Fun shots of all the birds.