Monday, August 31, 2009

Howell Wetlands, always changing....

On our last trip to the wetlands, I could see how the plants were changing and taking on the look of late summer and fall. This Morning Glory was one of the few non-yellow flowers in the meadow area. The bee was a bonus :-)
I wish these little morning glories around this yellow flower had been open...would have been a pretty combination. This is one of the several different types of yellow daisy like flowers in the meadow right now.

A larger type...
....another type....

....the small yellow butterflies like all this yellow color :-)
These little purple flowers were few and far between.

One thistle still looking good and a nice Painted Lady to grace its beauty.

Most of the thistles were going to seed now.
Never sure how to photograph grasses, but I liked these reddish ones and wanted a close-up.

Other types of grass look better as a large clump blowing in the breeze.

Looks like something laid here in the grass for a rest.
An interesting plant.....Mike is holding it over so I can take the photo, but it really stands tall and straight.
One of my favorite purple "weeds" :-)
Near the woods area there was this one stalk of red....all alone.
A couple of Kingbirds (?) were doing their bug catching routine in the distance. All else was still and quiet.
Young cypress(?) trees by the lake.
"Happy Duck"
There are about 9 Canada Geese that have stayed around all year. They must be molting because the lake surface was covered with small white feathers.
No matter what time of year, there are always things to see here.

14 comments:

Lindy said...

Really nice variety, as always. Loved the 'happy duck,' so cute! The purple weed is very pretty. I'm a sucker for purple flowers.
:D

That's a great shot of the Painted Lady on the thistle. I don't think you could ask for any better! Absolutely great detail on the yellow butterfly.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

At the end of a season it always seems as if there are other things to take photographs of. I love the thistle with the butterfly on it.

Rose said...

Just think Mary, it probably won't be long till the geese start coming through again! I just thought of that the other day and am kind of anxious to see them again.

Don't you just love all the yellow flowers? I have looked some of them up before but can not remember their names.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a beautiful show of the wild flowers and the neat birds and butterflies.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful Pictures, Mary! Love the happy duck!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Great showing of wild flowers and critters... I can surely tell that Fall is coming up that way.

Isn't it interesting how the YELLOWS shine this time of year. In June, Our pink roses put on a show. Now--our yellow ones are showing off...

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. Love the smiling duck!!!!

Anonymous said...

This blog is a real treat to visit
its nice to see what goes on in other parts of the worlds wild life habitat.
at the moment I am in a new enviornment and like A child who is taking in all the candy. last month I did several tombs and temples. even the pharaos loved the wild life its depicted in the hyrogliphs and tomg paintings,
and here we are four thousand years later still admiring the Lords creation.

Richard Lawry said...

So many varieties of God's handiwork in one post.

An Arkies Musings

winterwren said...

I love your thistle seed and close up grass photos alot Mary and the happy duck does indeed look very happy. Your kingbird looks like a young Western Kingbird to me.

Eve said...

Mary, you always have such a wonderfully fun set of photos! Always such enjoyable posts and these last posts have been just that. An adventure for the eyes! I feel your excitement and frustration in identifying the butterflies...just don't give up! Soon they will be "old hat"!!! Great job as always!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You always manage to get such neat pictures.I like the variety too.By looking at your pictures I know I would have a blast in this area.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

You certainly can see that summer is fading. Love all your choices Mary.
My favorite is the thistle color.
B.

Arija said...

Wonderful nature pictures, I do love the thistledown.

abb said...

What wonderful nature photographs you take!