Saturday, August 1, 2009

Butterfly attraction....

Question: How do you take photos of butterflies, if the subjects decide they would rather.............sit on your hand???? Thursday I couldn't catch a butterfly, and Friday they were catching me.
Perhaps it was my fragrance...."Eau de Sweat"?

I thought it was funny when I got home to read in my butterfly book that they will hang out "on very quiet people"....among other places :-) At one time I had one sitting on the end of the finger that I use to push the camera button with. Hmmmmmm....didn't want his photo taken??

We went back to the "butterfly road" because we thought we might see that striped butterfly I saw Thursday and didn't get a photo......
....sure enough! A Zebra Swallowtail. I was excited!
A back view showing the red spots.
I couldn't get over how long those tails are! Wow!

There were dozens of black butterflies around. I even brought home a dead one that I found.
These 2 were circling each other.

A strange behavior below......
There was a dead black butterfly on the ground and this yellow Tiger landed near it and started approaching it.
It got real close and circled all around it.

Climbed over the top of it. I couldn't decide what exactly it was doing. Has anyone ever seen a butterfly act like this with a dead one?

We saw a bunch of those Ebony Jewelwing damselflies.
I'm still trying to figure them out. The one at the bottom is the metallic green that I saw once before, but the one at the top is a dull bluish color. Male and female??
This is the dull one with the white spots on the wings.
This butterfly kept teasing me with a hint of its inside color...that bit of red and blue....but wouldn't open up for me.
Great day! I don't often get to hold butterflies on my hand....and on my t-shirt, and in my hair, and on my pants leg, and ....... Glad Mike was there to take photos!

20 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

An absolutley wonder post Mary!! I do love seeing all these beautiful butterflies.

I agree that it was most unusual behavior with the dead one and wonder why it did that? Strange!!

Very often I have found that male and female of the same species can be totally different in looks.

Anonymous said...

Very quiet people????

Lovely images Mary

Mary said...

Joan: I know as the "bug lady" you have bugs sit on you all the time :-) I would like to know why the Tiger acted like that.

Roy: LOL...I'm quiet as a photographer and only excited on the keyboard :-)

Richard Lawry said...

Once when my wife was visiting a butterfly exhibit, the butterflies swarmed around her but no one else. She determined that it was the violet mints that she was eating. She likes them, but I cant stand them. It's like spraying perfume in your mouth.

An Arkies Musings

Dorothy said...

Wonderful post of your exciting day. Love to see those unusual butterflies.

Mary said...

Richies: Violet mints? I never wear scented stuff, so I know it wasn't anthing other than sweat they might have been smelling. It's pretty neat to have one land on you. I held a butterfly once before that was sitting on the ground, and I put my finger down and it climbed on. These just swarmed onto whoever was there.

Dorothy: I like finding new ones! Not much happening with birds right now, so the butterflies make life interesting :-)

Kelly said...

...wow...that was a great day! I've never seen a butterfly do that, but I've just recently started learning about them. I think you posted on your butterfly book once before, but I'm not sure. Could you let me know the name and the author? I love the printing and the paintings...reminds me of Edith Holden's "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady," which I love!

Arija said...

I think the circling butterfly was mistaking the dead one for an aquiescent sex partner. Mating frenzy in insects can be just as indiscriminate as in modern youth where anything seems to be fair game as we are so often shown on TV.
I have to travel a few thousand miles to meet a wealth of beautiful butterflies.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW!What a fabulous experience.The pictures look so good.That Zebra Swallowtail is a gorgeous butterfly.
Blessings,Ruth

Jenny said...

How great that they landed on you Mary. I would imagine that they were after the salts on your skin maybe? It's always special when either a bird or butterfly get so up close and personal. You have some amazing Swallowtails over there.

Creative Cards said...

Fabulous variety of Butterflies wonderful...thank you for sharing. I'm now interested in looking for a butterfly book..thanks for stirring my creative juices..have a wonderful day!!

Kingsdowner said...

Great shots there - you've certainly found a good site.
The sensation of a butterfly on your finger is marvellous - weightless.

Mary said...

Kelly: These little Hackberry butterflies were the only "friendly" ones :-) The book is "Painted Ladies..butterflies of North America" by Millie Miller and Cyndi Nelson. They have a series of little pocket guide books.

Arija: Oh, dear...kinky sex in butterflies?? I thought it might be eating on it, to tell the truth.

Ruth: Thanks...I loved the long tails on it...so different from other swallowtails that I've seen.

Jenny: I figured it was something like that. I was certainly sweating, although they were landing on our clothing, too.

Nature As Is: Thanks...this butterfly book is such a pretty one, even if it doesn't always help me identify the right species.

Steve aka Kingsdowner: It tickles...they are so light and tiny.

Becky said...

Beautiful post Mary. I DO need to come there!
Butterflies fly away when I get near! Hummm, guess they don't like me. LOL
B.

Rose said...

Wonderful Mary....I think that bottom one is a Red Admiral...

Mary said...

Becky: Most butterflies fly away when I get near them, too. These little Hackberrys are friendlier than most.

Rose: Thanks! A Red Admiral would be a first for me. Wish it would have spread its wings more. I looked at a couple of other shots and I think you are right from what little I can see of the color.

DeniseinVA said...

how extraordinary! And a great experience. Loved all the photos.

Eve said...

These are great Mary!! Love that they landed on your hanc! Very sweet. I am dying to see a zebra swallowtail...lucky you! Great post!

Mary said...

Denise: It was pretty cool!

Eve: Thanks....I ordered a butterfly book finally. I loved that Zebra...first for me and hope I see it again.

sandy said...

Great shots!