Monday, August 24, 2009

Dahlias.......

Our daughter took us to a Conservatory in Seattle that had a beautiful Dahlia garden outside. I was amazed by all the different colors and shapes. I've never grown Dahlias, but now I think I want to. I particularly like the rounded ones....so perfect looking :-)


















This is only a fraction of them. I didn't realize that Dahlias were so tall. For some reason I always thought they were only about 2 foot high. Some of these were taller than I am!

17 comments:

Lindy said...

Wow, these are all beautiful! I didn't realize there were so many types and colors. I don't think I could pick a favorite if I had to. I like them all!

Maybe you should save some of these photos for mid-winter when we're desperate to see vibrant color again.
:D

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a wonderful, wonderful post Mary!! These have been one of my favorite flowers for as long as I can remember. The variety in color and shape is unbelievable and you have captured them fantasticly. Thanks.

Kathie Brown said...

Amazing! I did not know any of this. You got some fabulous shots!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful lot of flowers Mary, thanks for posting them.

Kathy W said...

Mary those are wonderful shots. I have always wanted to grow them. I see a lawn once a week that I drive by that has them all the around the front of their home. I have always wanted to stop and ask them if I could take a picture of their pretty flowers.

Rose said...

Oh, they are beautiful...my mom always had some. Even though I can't remember the colors, I know she didn't have a fraction of what is shown here. And I think hers were usually about 3-4 ft high.

Eve said...

They are beautiful Mary. I've never gown them either but I have one in my new yard. I love your new header! Did you see mine yet?? We think so much alike!!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sure am glad I don't have to pick a favorite.That would be impossible.Each one is sooo beautiful.Thanks for sharing these.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary.... My mother grew Dahlias--but I had no idea there were so many varieties. Thanks for all of the great pictures. I love them ALL.
Hugs,
Betsy

Shirleyanne said...

What stunning photo's. Just love all the different varieties & colours....

Mary said...

Lindy: It was tough. They were all pretty and so many different ones to choose from.

Joan: I will have to try growing some. My sister had some in the house in small vases and they were so pretty. One or two is all it takes for a pretty arrangement.

Kathiesbirds: Thanks...they were so pretty it was easy to get good shots.

Roy: thanks!

Kathy: Thanks...I can see we will all be trying dahlias next year :-) I think the reason I haven't grown any is because I know that you have to dig them up for the winter...at least around here.

Rose: Maybe these were specially grown for height. A lot were up to my chin. Of course 4 foot might do that since I'm short!

Eve: You'll have to show the one you have. You are right about our headers...great minds think alike :-) I just picked something out of my header file from last year that seemed apprpriate for this time of year.

Ruth: I think I was more drawn to the shapes then caring about the colors. All the colors were pretty!

Betsy: You and George will have to add a dahlia garden to your yard :-)
Shirleyanne: thanks!

Becky said...

OK Mary, I want one of each. LOL
I didn't realize either there are so many colors. Absolutely beautiful. They're all my favorite.
B.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

They are beautiful Mary. I've never grown them either and they are such vibrant colours. Lovely. A x

Creative Cards said...

Mary goodmorning!! Wow fantastic shots...what a wonderful variety of Dahlia's that you photographed...wonderful pictures. Put a smile on my face right away over my morning cup of coffee :) Have a wonderful day.

Don Wood said...

I love Daliahs so unpretentious and understated just like me XXX Don

sandy said...

Mary, these are all gorgeous blooms! Great photos.

Mary said...

Becky: I was surprised by the variety, too.

Anne: I guess we all need to try growing some now.

Nature as is: Thanks :-)

Don: That's right, Don, just like you. LOL!

Sandy: I wish my yard was full of them.