Friday, August 7, 2009

An interview with bird carver, Sue Kraft.....

(The following is an interview with bird carver, Sue Kraft. Sue and I went to high school together. At that time, I'm not sure either of us was that interested in birds, but now she carves them and I photograph them.) (Woodcock)
Q1. How long have you been a bird carver and how did you get started? I started carving January 1996. I needed something to keep me busy after I quit work. I thought I could teach myself, but eventually took carving lessons from other bird carvers. (sleeping Teal)
Q2. What materials do you use? This depends, but in general the birds are carved from Tupelo. This is wood found in the south. The trees sit in water in the swamps and the wood that in exposed to the water, is the part that bird carvers use. It is light and has little grain.
(Mockingbird)
Q3. What are some of your favorite birds to carve? I've gone through several "phases". I was really into birds of prey for a while, but now I like carving exotic birds from Africa, Asia and Australia. There are so many beautiful birds in the world and so little time to carve them. (Fairy Wrens) (Lilac Breasted Roller)
Q4. What are the greatest challenges to carving life-like birds? I think the greatest challenges come from painting the colors as life-like as possible. The carving has some challenges, but nothing like the painting. Getting the colors right requires finding good reference material and that can be a challenge. I have spent a lot of time on ebay looking for taxidermy models and I also go to Chicago to the Museum to take measurements and photos of study skins. (Golden-Crowned Kinglet)
Q5. What was your first carving? My first carving was a mallard drake decoy. I think it looks more like a boat. I didn't have the right tools at the time to cut it out correctly. What was your latest? I just finished a green heron. It is the first time I have carved one. I have many others that I am working on. I am currently working on a magpie, a bee-eater, two kingfishers, a bluebird, and a miniature bald eagle. (Flicker)
Q6. What was your first show to enter and did you win a prize? My first show was the Eastern Woodcarvers Show in Converse, Indiana. I won several ribbons, even a blue ribbon. Which carving was your first prize winner? This I can not remember. I'm sure it was a song bird. Those were what I did at first.
(Resplendent Quetzal)
Q7. What bird would you most like to carve and what is in your future as a carver? I still have many birds that I want to carve. I don't think there are any that stand out as a "must do". I just bought a taxidermy (actual stuffed bird, that I use as reference material) on ebay of a green-headed tanager from South America. I plan on doing this for one of my future pieces. I saw a picture of one in "Birder's World" and decided that I wanted to carve one. That is probably one of the ways I most often come up with my ideas. I love the photos in that magazine as well as in a magazine that I get from Africa. It is now possible to "Google" for images and find lots of ideas.

The answer to your second part is, I don't know. Age is beginning to take it's toll on my carving. My eyes and hands are not what they use to be. I guess I'll keep doing it as long as I enjoy it and as long as they still look like birds when I'm done. It just gets harder and harder to see the detail that is necessary to be competitive. I'd rather not compete anymore. It is too much stress and I hate carving to please judges. I get much more satisfaction from selling my work. Nothing means more then to have someone really appreciate what you have done so much that they are willing to buy it. (Orange-Breasted Falcon...almost extinct...lives in Mayan ruins)
Q8. Anything you would like to add? Not that I can think of. Anyone who wants to see and hear more about the bird carving process should check out my new website at http://www.suekraftwildlifesculptures.com/.

(Gull with baby)
Thanks, Sue! A very talented lady! Be sure to visit her website and see videos of the carving process.
Sue currently exhibits her work at:

CCA Gallery
47 S. Main St.
Zionsville, IN

20 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This was fantastic Mary. That Lilac Brested Roller is from here and she has done a magnificent job on it. I can see how something like this could catch ones imagination as the more you do carvings, the more you want to. A wonderful intervies and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful crafty friend you have! The birdies look amazingly real. I even thought some of them are alive before I read the text. Thanks for sharing the interview and the photos with us!

Eve said...

Wow a great interview and a wonderful talent!

Shelley said...

She is incredibly talented! I love her work!!

Mary said...

I hope all of you will visit her website too and watch the videos of the carving process. Fascinating to see how someone does this.
She is very talented as you have all said!

Kelly said...

Absolutely beautiful......her carving is exquisite! I'm definitely heading over to her site! Thanks...

Dorothy said...

Just gorgeous! Enjoyed the interview and pictures. What a talent! Thanks for sharing.

Diane AZ said...

Terrific interview! Was surprise to find out that one the greatest challenges is getting the colors life-like when painting. The carvings really are delightful!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thank-you so much for this interview.Sue is a very talented lady.Her work is so detailed.
Blessings,Ruth

April said...

I enjoyed your interview with Sue Kraft. She is a genius with her carving tools. All her birds looks so lifelike. Beautiful sculptures!

Lindy said...

This is a great interview and very informative. I am partial to her orange-breasted falcon. I definitely want to visit her exhibit at the gallery.

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Beautiful Kraft works.

Leedra said...

Such talent, her work is beautiful.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun


Leedra’s Greeting Cards


Photography By Leedra

Becky said...

Beautiful birds Mary. What a great talent she has. Thanks for posting your inyerview.
B.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

They are beautiful carvings - what a talented lady. A x

Mike said...

Truly amazing carvings and your photos do them great justice, need to pick my jaw back up now and keep reading..

Mary said...

Thank you everyone for the nice comments about Sue's work..She has been reading them and thanks you all, also.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That is certainly a talented lady.

Rose said...

Mary, her work is beautiful....and I really enjoyed the interview.

sandy said...

These carvings are great.