Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm home!......continueing the island trip

I'm so glad to be back home and get back to blogging. I've missed you guys! I promise to catch up on all of your blogs this weekend....I hope. The WiFi connection was so poor where I was that I just couldn't deal with the frustration of trying to blog. Especially with trying to do stuff with my family at the same time. Makes me appreciate my good connection at home a lot more. I left off on our return from the island trip by boat. After the stop at Friday Harbor, we still needed gas, but the harbor was such a "zoo" we decided to wait and get it at Blakely Island which is mostly private, but one end has a nice place to tie up and get gas and a little store. This is the end of the pier looking out towards other islands.
Of course while the guys gassed up the boat, I went looking for photo ops and found these really cute swallows sitting on the rocks and flying over the nearby water. There were about 6 of them and they looked young for the most part.

Isn't this a beautiful bird?
Had to post this shot......how weird to turn your head that way!
A pretty adult
It was pleasant to sit and have some ice cream looking out over the water. I think I could get used to "island living".
A little sparrow down under the bushes on the rocks. I saw it sneak into the heavy cedar bushes, so I assumed it had a nice snug home in there.
This island has a private air strip and we watched several planes come and go. Very busy!

Ready for take off.


A nice home on the edge of the water as we boated away.

As we headed back in the narrow channel to La Conner to dock the boat, we saw a lot of life along the shore settling down for the evening. The most surprising were two bald eagles sitting along the way!
Look how close those people walking behind it seem to be and the eagle is just sitting there.
Many heron along the way at the water's edge grooming and tucking their necks in for the night.

Kingfisher on the posts. I'm not great at shots from a boat bouncing along at twilight. We saw two seals swimming in the water, but they were too quick for me.
Just some pretty flowers along the way.
That was the island trip. We drove back to Renton that night. I will be back on a regular posting schedule from now on.

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How lovely to have you back Mary. It seems like a great trip.

I think that house overlooking the water is just waiting for me to move in. I can hear it calling mu name. :) How great to see the Bald Eagle too.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,this must have been a very pleasant ride.Your pictures are excellent.I especially like the Bald Eagles.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Welcome back. Glad you had a wonderful trip. Love seeing the pictures from there. Those Swallows are gorgeous birds for sure.

I was so excited when we took our car to the Toyota place in Knoxville recently for maintenance. They have WiFi---so I took my NEW laptop with me. Guess what???? Just like you--I found it so darn slow, I just couldn't use it much. Guess we are spoiled.

Glad you are home. I've missed you.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mike said...

Hi Mary, great posts from your trip, glad you had a nice time, how amazing must it be to see bald eagles and nice swallow close ups.

Don Wood said...

I missed you too XXX Don

Dorothy said...

Very nice series of pictures! Love the picture of the bird with his head on backwards!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, what a fabulous trip, but it's always nice to get home too! (-: Great photos the young Barn Swallows. Very sweet! That house by the lake is to die for! What lucky owners, I hope they appreicate what they have! Looking forward to your regular postings! (-:

Mary said...

Joan: Good to be home! Now I just have to do a lot of catching up and posting. I bet that house is really pricy :-) But what a lovely view it has!

Ruth: I was really surprised by the eagles just sitting there by the side of the water.

Betsy: I guess there are good connections and bad ones. The one my brother-in-law has was really slow, but the local library was fast...just not enough time to go there and use it each day.

Mike: Thanks....lots more to post eventually.

Don: Thanks!

Dorothy: LOL! Love the description and that is exactly the way it looked. Made my neck hurt just looking at it.

Jenny: I seem to see more birds that were just like back home, than ones that I don't usually see, but its always interesting to compare and hope to see a few new ones. Those barn swallows were so sweet looking. I wonder what it is like in that house during a storm over the water? Must be a very dramatic place to live and see the boats and planes go by all day.

Leedra said...

I especially like the one looking through the purple flowers. If one of those men had had a camera in his hand the eagle would have been gone.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun


Leedra’s Greeting Cards


Photography By Leedra

Lindy said...

Glad you made it back home safely. Good to see your posts again!

Maybe that swallow with his head turned around wanted to make sure you got his face in the picture!

Those purple flowers are sure pretty. I'd love to grow some of those in our garden.

As many others said, I wouldn't mind living in that waterside house. The sounds would be wonderful to hear last thing before sleep.

I've never seen an eagle perch that low to the ground before. What is amazing to me is that not only are there people in the background but a large dog, as well! I'm surprised the dog didn't scare it off.

Becky said...

I think I could live there Mary. Wonderful pictures! Those little swallows are so cuteGlad you are home safe.
B.

Mary said...

Leedra: I liked those purple flowers, too but I don't know what they are.

Lindy:I thought the same thing about the eagles. I almost wondered if they were not real, but saw them turn their heads :-) By the way...We spent 3 hours in Indy trying to get AAA to come put air in our flat tire last night before driving 3 hours to Evansville. Groan. We got home at 5AM this morning.

Becky: I'm sure the inconvenience of going everywhere by boat or plane when you needed to get off island would be a drawback, but I have a feeling these people can afford to deal with the problems. It is a really gorgeous place to visit.

George said...

Welcome back. I've had to play catch-up but I enjoyed all three segments of your trip to the islands. Beautiful scenery -- thanks for taking us along.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Just so special.

Mary said...

George and Tom: thanks...I missed some of these comments the first time around.