Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bringing Up Baby......

Say "Hello" to Baby Wren!I saw this little head peeking out yesterday while watching the parents bring food.
"Bring more food!!"

" .....After I take a quick nap."
Both parents were in and out about every 5 minutes. Sometimes they arrived about the same time.
So.....what do baby wrens eat???

A nice juicy reddish worm like thing.
A tiny little worm thing
My favorite....a cricket, perhaps? If you click on it you can see the long antennae.
Bug of some sort.
Maybe a lightening bug? or bee?
No idea...bug.
Lightening bug?
Certainly interesting! Just wish the light was better. This area is very shady.
My gourd may not make it through another season....I can see two additional holes above the main hole. But it has certainly done well this year! A successful batch of Chickadees in the spring and now a successful House Wren baby. (babies?)

25 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am not sure if I want to be fed red worms Mary. :) What a lovely update on the wrens. Thank you.

Jenny said...

Great photos! It doesn't seem too dark, on my comp anyway. I said Finch in my comment yesterday when I meant Wren! DUH! I'd like to try putting up a birdhouse somewhere in my garden, tho I'm not sure with the ever watchful Poppy about!

Eve said...

I can tell you I wont take up an invitation to dine with the wren family!!

Rose said...

Such a wonderful series! I sit out back every morn waiting for Lorelei and watch mine come and go...and try to keep the cats detoured. I just hope I have them corralled when they babies start to leave.

Mary said...

Joan: that red one didn't look to good to me either.

Jenny: I'm sure that was my fault. When I posted yesterday, I accidently wrote finch instead of wren under the gourd photos. I thought I corrected it before you posted a comment, but probably not. I'm just glad Mike noticed I wrote the wrong bird down. I always worry about the cats once the little ones fledge, but they spend most of the day indoors.

Eve: The cricket didn't look too bad, but I think I'll pass on the rest :-)

Rose: the cats like to watch the birds on the ground. I hope they won't be out when the babys fly. After a brief outing in the morning they usually come back in and I can make them stay.

DeniseinVA said...

Adorable set of pictures Mary, good mommy and daddy taking care of baby so well.

Dorothy said...

Those babies keep the parents really busy. And it doesn't end when they leave the nest!! They have to feed them until they are as big as the parents!!!

sandy said...

oh a baby!! Great shots Mary.

Anonymous said...

More really great shots of your Wren family Mary.

Shelley said...

Oh how I wish I had one of those gourd bird houses! Love your cute little wren peeking out of it!!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Oh Mary - what fantastic shots. You must be so pleased to get them. A x

CountryDreaming said...

Very cool! You have a gift for capturing the mood and expression of your birds, Mary! :-)

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Mary,
This is a delightful posting about wrens. I enjoyed very much the photos of the baby wrens eating worms, bugs, etc. The photos are great. This is a very good posting.

Mary said...

I'm way behind today and haven't visited any blogs...yet...so I will just say a big joint "thank you" for your kind comments! The wrens are enjoyable to watch. The parents are still taking in food today, but haven't seen any little beaks peeking out since yesterday.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Two batches from one gourd in one yea,I'd say that is pretty good.Those Wrens sure are busy.
I enjoy seeing the variety of food they bring.
Blessings,Ruth

Creative Cards said...

Simply lovely!!! Enjoyed your post today Mary. I have never seen a bird nest in a Gourd before....very neat. (I hope I spelled Gourd right)

Becky said...

Can that one baby eat all that food? My goodness he must be a fat little critter. Great post Mary.
B.

Jill of All Trades said...

Just love to watch birds and these are great.

Leedra said...

I like the whole series. Bad light? I didn't notice it at all.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun


Leedra’s Greeting Cards


Photography By Leedra

Mary said...

I haven't figured out if there is more than one baby in there. Only the one was peeking his beak out. The parents go in about every 2 minutes!

Kelly said...

Ack!!! sooo cute!! :-) It must be the time for wrens...

Arija said...

Wonderful observations and photos, and such a varied diet!

Mary said...

What amazed me most is the parents show up every 2 minutes or less! That's a lot of food coming in.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That is one busy bird.

Kathie Brown said...

This was a fun series to view! I hope the wrens are doing well!