Thursday, March 6, 2008

A little fun.....to pass the time until spring?

I'm well aware that we must protect our identities and information on the Internet, but I thought it might be fun to share some birding/wildlife information through a quiz. If anyone feels like answering these....great.......if not my feelings won't be hurt :-) I'm not even sure what my own responses are yet! You can respond in my comments section or link to your own site if you wish to make a post out of it with pictures. You can respond to all or part...whatever!

1. Name 5 of your favorite birds (I know, too hard to choose...go ahead and add a few more :-)
2. Name 5 birds you would love to see.
3. Do you have a favorite place to watch birds?
4. What was your most interesting birding experience?
5. Is there somewhere you would really like to go to look at birds or other wildlife?
6. Do you have a favorite nature artist/artists?
7. A favorite wildlife author or book?

I guess I have to respond to my own game:

1. Favorites: Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, any Nuthatch, Cardinals, Gambel's Quail

2. Want to see: Snowy Owl, Baltimore Oriole, Vermillion Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, any Tanager (I selected those based on pictures in my field guide, but I'm sure there are 100's of others I would love to see! ) I like bright colors....obviously! And a Yellow-Headed Blackbird!

3. Favorite place to bird watch: I suppose my own feeders are my favorite place, because the birds come to me and I can see them up close! Places where I can see water birds.....I loved Kiawah Island, SC. My favorite place is usually the last place that I've been :-)

4. Best experience: Probably getting pictures of a Pileated Woodpecker at my feeder this year and seeing a Sharp-shinned Hawk close enough to get half way decent photos were the first things I think of. Watching mother and daddy birds feed their young always thrills me.

5. Want to go: Anywhere I haven't already been where I can experience nature up-close.

6. Artists: Charles Harper.....I adore his prints and their touch of humor. Valerie Pfeiffer....her fat chickadees are my favorites. Marjolein Bastin's wonderful soft pictures. Glenn Loates, Robert Bateman, Ray Harm. There are 3 quilt artists who make a lot of animal or flower quilts that I love......Nancy S. Brown, McKenna Ryan, and Ruth B. McDowell.

7. Author/book: I don't really read books about birds.....just look at pictures :-) But one of my favorite nature writer's was Gerrald Durrell. I enjoyed all of his books about capturing animals in the wild. He was a very entertaining writer.

OK.....feel free to give your own answers and maybe I'll learn something new!

14 comments:

Melissa said...

I once saw two pileated woodpeckers doing some sort of dance around a fallen tree. That was on our farm. My favorite birds are: mockingbirds, titmouse, chicadee, nuthatch, rufous sided towhee, in no particular order. I would like to see a bird that you could not get a picture of. ;]
Melissa

Mary said...

Hmmmm...interesting. We like similar birds...I like the Towee's too, but ran out of choices :-) I had one I couldn't get a picture of today..at least nothing worthwhile and it was a new bird for me! Drat! Will post it tomorrow or later anyway.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

1. Favorite birds: Common Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager, Painted Bunting, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Nuthatches, and all my little woodpeckers. Can't stick to 5. ;-)

2. Snowy Owl, Caracara, Puffin

3. The Florida Everglades. (I see you wrote Kiawah. I spent a lot of time there when I lived in Charleston.)

4. I was standing in my garden in Charleston and heard a very unusual bird. I looked carefully, and there, perched in my tree, was a Cockatiel. I talked softly to him, and before I realized what was happening, it landed on my shoulder. A couple of days later, a little wren flew in my window, spent the morning flying around my house and then left. Magical!

5. I want to go back to Africa again. I would also like to see Machu Picchu, the Pantanal, Antarctica, Alaska, Galapagos, and, and, and...!

6. Too many artists to mention. I love art!

7. Robert Ludlum was always my favorite.

Mary said...

Sandpiper, Thanks for responding! I will expect to see some pics of scarlet tanagers and painted buntings since they are on my "wish" list and your "favorite list"! Are they regular visitors for you? I bet Africa was really neat....I like the art you have shown from there. Your stories were great....the one time I had a bird in the house, I panicked and chased it out the front door as fast as I could. It went to the top of the dome in the livingroom area and I thought it might never come down! My favorite authors are actually mystery authors..Rex Stout probably my favorite.

Stacey Olson said...

Great Idea, I am so glad I found your site.
Favorite birds
1 Red tail hawk
2 Kestrel
3 Golden eagle
4 wren
5 raven
(Not neccesarily in that order)
I would love to see a cardinal, snow owl. elf owl.
Love to watch birds anywhere
Most interesting experience would be as a falconer and rehab work for wounded and ophaned birds of prey
question 5 not really, anywhere outdoors is great by me.
question 6 not really, loved Marty Stauffer's work (sp)
question 7. Tough question..Don't have a favorite. I LOVE BOOKS

Mary said...

Stacey, Thanks for stopping by! I just took a quick look at your site and know that I'll be back to search it more fully. Great job... to do rehab work! Being a falconer must be interesting too. I also, love books! Blogging has opened up a whole new world of a different type of reading...I can't keep up! The Cardinal is the state bird here, so that is one that I see a lot of that is on your wish list. I'm posting a couple pictures tomorrow in my post. I voted for your "warm and fuzzy"....although they all sounded great.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Thank you, Mary. I used to see Scarlet Tanagers in the woods where I lived, but I haven't seen one since I moved to this house. The painted buntings I saw were in South Carolina, but they are among the prettiest birds I've ever seen. Bruce SC has them coming to her feeders and splashing around in her bird baths. I love your story about the bird that got into your house. Too cute! :)

I used to read a lot of mysteries, and then later got into spy novels. Now I read more non-fiction than anything - mostly nature related stuff.

brucesc said...

I'm a day late here, but I like kinglets, kildeer, kestrel, Carolina wrens, painted buntings, cardinals, brown thrashers, all the wading birds, and all the cute little ones at the feeders.
2. Puffin, great gray owl, mandarin duck,elf owl, condor.
3. My feeders, Donnelly WMA, and Botswana.
4.Too numerous to mention in Africa and here too. Had a great one yesterday even when my son and I heard an American bittern booming!
5.I really hope to go back to Botswana when things settle down again in South Africa and take our granddaughter along.
6.Keith Joubert, hands down!
7.I read almost anything,but mostly for pleasure. I just read a wonderful little book that all your viewers would enjoy though: Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds by Lyanda Lynn Haupt.
I hope to meet you next time you come to Kiawah--I'm only about 20-30 minutes away--further out in the country. So you know what kind of birds I have here.

Mary said...

Brucesc, I was warned by Sandpiper that you have painted buntings playing in your bird bath, so I hope to see pictures this year! I found one on your site when I searched. Did you spend a lot of time in Botswana? I'm sure that anywhere in Africa must be really intersting and so different from what we are used to. I checked out Keith Joubert on Google...nice art! What an intersting use of both animal and human forms together and the heavy use of blue is so different! I know I'll remember if I ever see his work again. I also found an excerpt from the book you mention and it does sound good. Will check the local library for a copy! I was hoping to get good tips on art and books with this quiz :-)

brucesc said...

You'll have to come see painted buntings in the bath--they are regulars. I expect them back this month.
Yes, we spent quite a bit of time in Botswana, but in pieces. We've been to southern Africa 11 times and would love to go 11 more when things settle down more in South Africa. I've got several trips journaled on my website that you might enjoy. www.toogoodoostudios.com or the first link on my blog. I'm glad you liked Keith Joubert's art--he says so much with just a line.

Mary said...

I hope to get back to Kiawah Island again! The owner of the company my husband works for has a condo there he lets the employees use on a rotating basis. Since we got to go last year, it might be next year before we get it again. I actually started my blog on Kiawah Island! My first few posts are from there and a few pictures. I started with more words than pictures and now have more pictures and less words. Blogs evolve.

brucesc said...

Oh, I hope you'll let me know when you come to Kiawah?! We will have to get together for sure and I can take you to a few of my favorite haunts and show you painted buntings at the house. One female arrived since my previous post actually!
You're right about blogs evolving. Mine was to be just one good photo a day, but there is too much I want to show!
I've had a lot of problems with the blogs today. This is my third try at answering you!

Mary said...

You must have been struggling with me, while I struggled with Sandpiper! I tried at least 5 times before giving up and going away for several hours. Finally left a comment tonight.

brucesc said...

Yes, it was very annoying. Let's hope whatever they were doing makes things better. I didn't even post anything on my own blog in frustration.