Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mr. Winter came back.......snow, snow, snow


Well, with all the snow yesterday, my birds for today will look a little less cheerful and springy. Lots of birds all day, lots of snow in the background swirling around. The suet was popular, even with birds like the Juncos who normally ignore it for the seeds on the ground.




Mrs. Cardinal couldn't make up her mind whether to join the others on the railing. The male was busy scooping up snow on his beak and pretending to have a mustache. Sort of embarassed her, I think......men.





The Pine Siskin wanted to pose today, and I don't get a lot of good pictures of him.



The Red-Winged Blackbird female liked to be on the ground and would stick her beak in the snow like this picture. The male prefered one of the hanging feeders.
The Titmouse spent a lot of time at the suet, today.....which made it easy to get his picture!

All of my Wren pictures tend to all look the same...but here is one of him in the tree hunkering down against the snow.

And of course the squirrels came out to eat all they could. I thought this little guy was cute.


8 comments:

brucesc said...

Your birds in the snow shots are so good, Mary! And what a good variety. That's amazing to see juncos at suet--really unusual. I had a possum up on the deck looking for suet last night--the dog had a fit.

me ann my camera said...

Your first photo reminds me of an earlier view out our windows this morning for I saw a Junco also. But a nice change for us; we don't have snow today, but freezing rain and rain, yes :-( Nice that all those hungry birds are finding food at your place. Nice pics.

Mike said...

Wow Mary what an amazing array of visitors you get at your feeders and how lucky they are to have you putting food out for them in such bad weather, maybe I should stop moaning about the drizzle we are having after seeing all that snow, great post. Mike.

Mary said...

Hello you three! We only ended up with about 2 inches...just enough to bury all the shoots of bulbs that were coming up (hope I don't step all over them filling the feeders) When it snows I get lots of birds of all kinds. I actually thought this bag of sunflower seeds was going to last me for more than a week...until the snow. If my husband retires, they may have to all go on a diet one of these days :-) I was surprised at the Juncos eating the suet, too. Usually they just swarm all over the ground....of course they had a lot of competition yesterday and today. My black bird menagerie is back with the snow and gobbling up everything on the ground. Today has been more grackles, red-wings and starlings than I want and it makes it tough for the songbirds. I try to hide some in the bushes for them :-)

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

You get such a good variety of birds at your feeders. My birds and squirrels are looking a little wet and scraggly today. It has been raining cats and dogs all day. I love the video of the squirrel.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mary. Great photo essay on winter in these waning days of the season.

Oh, and - Tag, you're it in the six-word memoir meme. Read about it, then post the story of your life in six words. Can't wait to read your story!

Mary said...

Wren, I just found this message with the tag! (12th) I left a message on yours. I'm thinking about this, but I only read a handful of other blogs....who may have already been tagged.

Mary said...

Sandpiper, I missed your comment, somehow also! Thanks for stopping in even if I didn't see it until now.