Monday, March 31, 2008

Desert flowers and other vegetation.....



Globemallow

Desert Lupine



I saw more desert flowers on this trip then ever before. There had been a small amount of rain the week before we arrived. The Brittlebush is there all the time, but there seemed to be a lot of it in bloom while we were there. Between Sedona and Phoenix there were areas where the Brittlebush and orange Globemallow lined both sides of the road and the median very heavily. Beautiful to look at, hard to photograph while driving. Globemallow comes in other colors, too......pale purple, white, pink.
The trees were starting to bloom also. The Acacia Trees were fascinating with their little yellow fuzzy ball flowers.

The Hedgehog Cactus and the Pincusion Cactus were the only ones that I saw with blooms starting to open.
I'm ready to switch my mind back to Indiana and the birds and plants here, so I probably won't post any more desert stuff except maybe one more bird post.

12 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

These desert flowers are gorgeous! I can't believe the variety. You must have had such a good time with your camera there, with all these beautiful things you saw.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: I did have a good time, but now that I'm home, I'm having trouble making myself post any more desert stuff :-) I did love the wildflowers....they certainly improve the starkness of the desert landscape. I should have take pics of some of what I consider "ugliness" of the desert for contrast. I miss "green" when I am there. My sister's backyard is almost like home....a little green oasis.

brucesc said...

The desert flowers are so different and so pretty, but I understand how you miss the lushness of home. I do hope you show more birds though before you switch back.

Mary said...

Brucesc: The birds were harder to capture pics of than at home. I have more pics of Gila Woodpeckers and quail, doves and house finches than anything else....her regular yard birds. I have a few oddities from the Desert Museum that I didn't see in the wild, but that are native to the area. I'm still sorting through pictures. I just saw your Painted Bunting pic...that is sooooo cool!

Sister M said...

Loved your squirrels. Do your friends know your father's nickname for you was "Squirrely"??

Mary said...

Hello Sister M: What a nice suprise to have you comment! However, you aren't suppose to share family secrets :-)

Anne på Moseplassen said...

I have really enjoyd all your posings from the dessert. thanks a million for scearing :D It so diffrent from here that it is almost surreal....

Mary said...

Mosefruen: It is really different from where I live, also. Surreal is a good definition! Everything is so stark and dry and big and at times scary! The landscape is very different, as well as the flora and fauna and I wasn't even in the parts of the west where you see lots of rock formations like arches....but have been to some of those parts.

April said...

Thank you for visiting... I enjoyed looking at all the desert plants on your post - very colorful. We're missing some bright color here at the moment so it was nice to see the blossoms. I didn't know the acacia tree had such pretty yellow flower balls. A beautiful, beautiful blog.
:)

Mary said...

April: Thank you! I liked your blog and will be back, I'm sure. Now that I am back home, I am just beginning to see a bit of color here. Spring is close!

AM said...

I love all the pictures!! Mom told us about the rattlesnake you almost stepped on...my goodness! Well, I hope you had a good vacation and tell uncle Mike we said belated happy birthday!

Mary said...

Hello Abi! We had a great time getting to meet you and Bella and all the euchre playing. I left Dorothy a whole folder of Bella pictures that I took while we were there. She is such a little cutie.