Saturday, March 1, 2008

Duck...duck...goose!

I started yesterday with a "sick" sewing machine :-( So since I had to take it to the "sewing machine emergency room" for a quick fix (it really did turn out to be quick and he didn't even charge me!), I took the camera along to stop at nearby Garvin Park and the Pigeon Creek Greenway to see what I might see. I arrived at the lake just in time to watch a lady with a little boy throwing food to the friendly flock of Canada geese, Mallard ducks and other domestic white ducks that hang out at the lake just for these handouts. What a pleasant day it turned out to be! I seldom watch water fowl and really enjoyed the various poses and posturings they made. I think I will post a bunch of them over several days because I loved them all.....I took the usual 200+ shots.....and I really don't know which to post!

I think I will start with ducks....I don't know my ducks very well, but there were several pairs of Mallards and several of the domestic white ducks. All swimming in the lake or perched on the edge.

Scattered among them were 2 oddballs. I'm guessing they are some sort of hybrid mix....a little of this and a little of that. But very striking in their coloration!







I call this guy "Funny Duck"...he just struck me that way, but I thought his colors were very pretty.
Then there was one with a beautiful brown coloration and a very strange looking eye (I thought)
It's harder to select Mallard pictures, but these were 3 that I liked.
The female Mallard was very pretty and really loved ducking and diving. The male joined her occasionally, but prefered to sit and watch.
I'll leave today with all the ducks sailing off , enjoying their afternoon swim.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I can not keep up with your blog. You post too fast and furious. They are all good. That's my comment for all the ones I haven't commented on. I love the ducks. At least they are different than songbirds. I'm tired now. Melissa

me ann my camera said...

Very nice pictures and I envy you the outing you had yesterday, it looks like a great place; and no snow! I am eagerly awaiting the returning of migrating ducks in March and April for I love seeing them. Some will stay, others will stop over and feed and then continue on further north.

Mary said...

Melissa....I wondered if you were exercising yourself to death, since you hadn't been by. We got our exercise bike Thursday.

Me and My Camera...Yes, it is a nice place, although usually overun with people in nicer weather. There was a row of cars lined along the drive by the lake all just watching the birds on their lunch breaks....from their cars. I feel for those like you who still have a lot of snow and winter to get through. I wouldn't not do well living in the "frozen north"!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh wonderful!! I love watching ducks. You got some great shots. The hybrid is so pretty! It sounds like you had a nice day.

Great that they fixed your sewing machine so fast!

Mary said...

Sandpiper, I did have a nice day and finding out my sewing machine problem was minor was a definite plus! Usually this park is so busy with people, that I haven't gone there in a long time. I really did enjoy the ducks and geese and have more pictures for the next few days. I've really got to start carrying my camera with me when I drive around town.

Mike said...

Nice shots Mary, glad to see that Mallards are the same all over the world, nice post. Mike.

Mary said...

Thanks, Mike! I like the ducks and geese and enjoyed getting to photograph a few. I don't see a lot of water fowl, being inland.