Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sedona...red rock country!


We drove to Sedona on Wednesday and spent the night and didn't come back until today. I have so many images of so many things, I never know where to start! As we neared Sedona, my sister kept telling us the scenery was going to change fairly abruptly, but I still was surprised when suddenly we were in "red rock" country! From rolling hills with scrub and cacti, we suddenly had red rocks and huge formations!
This is Mitten Ridge.....part of the Schnebley Hill formations. We "bounced" down a very rocky bumpy road into this canyon for about 2 miles (seemed like 10 with the bumps!) Found lots of places to stop and take pictures around us.



There was very little water in the river bed running through this canyon, but we did find one little trickle of water falling over the rocks.


I saw one mockingbird on a tree, but missed the shot. However on the way to Sedona at a gas station, I saw this lovely pair of Great-tailed Grackles (I think) at a trickle of water in the ditch. I'll take my birds wherever I find them! They were huge birds! (male...18", female...15")

(lots more to post, but my family is calling me to come do something!)

6 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Your location looks like it could be in some western movie! How beautiful the redrock looks, its make me think of castles. Sounds like you are having a lot of wonderful days.

brucesc said...

I've really enjoyed your vacation a lot--everything is so different there. The hummmingbirds all around you must have been thrilling. Beautiful scenery for sure. I hope it's nice when you get home so you won't miss the sunshine too much.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What magnificent scenery!!! I could get lost for a few months exploring there! Your pictures are wonderful.

Mary said...

It's been a great vacation, but my thoughts are starting to turn to home and I look forward to getting there and see what spring is doing in my yard and if my birds have deserted me :-) I dread the day tomorrow...planes and airports most of the day and then a drive from St. Louis to home at the end. It will be really late when we finally get home.

NW Nature Nut said...

You're lucky to have such accomodating reletives...driving you all over the back country. You saw some neat stuff. What fun!

Mary said...

NW Nature Nut: I am lucky. My sister that lives there is very nice and willing to take company to see everything within driving distance. Some of it is quite close to where she lives....Sabino Canyon....and even Sedona wasn't bad for a day's trip. We could have easily spent a whole week in the Sedona area, but one day was interesting enough. We generally visit once a year, so there will be other times!