I think that the female is just as striking as the male, even though her colors aren't as showy.
Can't wait until they come back!
I think that the female is just as striking as the male, even though her colors aren't as showy.
Can't wait until they come back!
8 comments:
Oh, repeat them all you want! They are such beautiful birds and you've gotten really magnificent pictures here, Mary! WOW! Print and Frame!!!
Thanks Sandpiper! Last year was the first time I had the "streaky" juveniles. I guess they were born somewhere else and were still changing as they flew toward their northern homes. According to the maps, we don't live in the breeding range, and I don't remember seeing any really young ones. I just love their cheerful color. I assume you see them where you live all summer?
really lovely, repeats is in order :D
And, as a comment to my blog yesterday, there is an Eurasian and an American tree sparrow, totaly different bird...
Mosefruen: Thanks! I enjoyed looking at your blog this morning and trying to sort out the Tree Sparrows! I had one American Tree Sparrow here this winter. It looks more like a Chipping Sparrow...rusty head. Sparrows are always so confusing to me! I have to dig out the guide book every time I see one that isn't a regular visitor and I still can't figure them out sometimes:-)
Woo hoo @ the grosbeaks, Mary! Super pictures--so close! They are the first bird I ever remember actually seeing as a young child--at my uncle's feeder--and I've been a birder for lo these 65 years since. We only see rose-breasted grosbeaks passing through down here, but I usually see them at least once. Feel free to send all you like!!
Hi, Bruce! Well, they haven't shown up yet for this year, but I'll certainly take lots of photos once they do! Isn't it amazing how some birds are so beautifully colored and others so drab? But they all seem to have something that makes you want to look at them and take pictures :-)
We see them here in the summer, Mary, but not as often as I used to when I lived in a house about an hour from here, which was situated in the woods. They would walk up and down my driveway pecking at the gravel. They had the prettiest song.
Sandpiper: I really am going to have to start studying bird's songs! Everyne else seems to know who sings which songs. I can recognize the Chick-a-dee-dee-dee and the Cardinals when they squawk at my cats, but otherwise don't know who is singing to me! I have a computer CD with each bird and their song, so I guess I need to study it one bird at a time, that I see regularly and then listen for them.
Post a Comment