First things first....here is my "cutie pie" great-niece...Bella... trying out her new butterfly quilt. I think she approves, although all the strange people were a little upsetting. I'm sure there will be more pictures of Bella. I already took lots of them the first day :-)The picture in my banner is a picture that I took on a previous year, but it shows the mountains that I look out at every morning while I am here....the Catalinas. Dorothy has a beautiful view and I love to sit there watching the sun come up over the mountains.
I've already walked all around her house reminding myself of the difference in the vegetation from back home. I always feel like I entered another world where everything is unknown and strange.
I try to learn the names of the various cacti, but usually get them wrong or am not sure. Some birds are familiar....I already saw doves and I usually see an occasionaly cardinal, but I also have to reaquaint myself with Gambel's quail, Gila Woodpeckers, Cactus Wrens and many others. I already snapped a few quail shots and even a short video! I also started taking pics of the different trees and plants.

I try to learn the names of the various cacti, but usually get them wrong or am not sure. Some birds are familiar....I already saw doves and I usually see an occasionaly cardinal, but I also have to reaquaint myself with Gambel's quail, Gila Woodpeckers, Cactus Wrens and many others. I already snapped a few quail shots and even a short video! I also started taking pics of the different trees and plants.

There are the cutest bunnies that hang around her yard. These two were in the drive out front and one seemed to be grooming the ears of the other.

The Gila Woodpecker sits on top of the large cactus in the neighbor's yard. It is so far away, I don't get a clear shot, but hope to do better.
Well, everyone has gone to bed and I am going, too! The first few days will be filled with a lot of family activity, but I'm sure I'll find something to post :-)
6 comments:
Great photos! I'm impressed by the views, vegetation, and wildlife! Glad you guys are safely there and enjoying. That rose bush over the arch is awesome! Love the rabbits and quail. Keep it coming as you have time. Melissa
Melissa: You would not believe the water in Illinois. We drove for miles with water as far as the eye could see on both sides of the road. Like crossing a bridge over a huge lake. I'd like to see aerial shots. Her bunnies are so tame and cute.
Hi Mary!! What a great post this morning! I love the banner and all the pictures you posted. It must be fun for you catch up with people there, but also to be in such a beautiful place, surrounded by new scenery, nature, and weather. I really enjoyed this! Look forward to more.
Sandpiper: Good morning from Tucson! The birds here have already realized that the crazy bird lady from Indiana is back and gobbled up my first offering of sunflower seeds this morning. Just hung the suet out and filled the hummingbird feeder :-) Her birds are more shy except for the finches and quail.
What a wonderful place you are staying at! And most important of all, such a very sweet baby lying on your beautiful butterfly quilt. But Mary, the different wildlife and birds and plants! Your camera must be working overtime! Enjoy, and I will enjoy viewing your posts.
Me and my Camera: Yes, I just ran out of batteries and need to go buy more :-) I don't have my re-charger here. She is a very sweet baby and they leave for home tomorrow, so we will get into more sightseeing and nature stuff then. I love the change of scenerie and new stuff for a visit, but I still prefer to live where there is more water and green :-) Although back home there is entirely too much water right now.
Post a Comment