Both the Downy and the White-Breasted Nuthatch think it would be nice if I would fill these feeders more than once per day.
The Downy was really having to scrunch down to get to what was left!
The Nuthatch has the advantage of just turning upside down. From his view, everything looks full! (I love the underside of this nuthatch...pretty)

I took a little video of the nuthatch eating today at the wooden feeder. This is why I have trouble getting good pics.....he jerks his head back and forth constantly and never holds still for long! I always end up with some part of him in motion! If I knew more about my camera settings that probably would not be a problem :-)
I took a little video of the nuthatch eating today at the wooden feeder. This is why I have trouble getting good pics.....he jerks his head back and forth constantly and never holds still for long! I always end up with some part of him in motion! If I knew more about my camera settings that probably would not be a problem :-)
I was trying to decide if these two were......
("What a nice place! The food looks really good!)
...Or an old married couple who had a spat and aren't speaking to each other!
("I told you we wouldn't be able to get a table here...but you never listen to me!)
5 comments:
I like your video and there is one part in it when the Nuthatch spreads is wings for a second; that part is lovely! You have such busy feeders! What a wonderful view you have each day outside your windows.
Me and My camera: I like that part, too. If you look closely that wing spread was to scare off a House finch that wanted to share the feeder. The house finch moves to the back side. I'm worried about that dogwood tree and will be devestated if it ever dies. Where would I put all my feeders and birds?? It is such a nice little tree, but it didn't look very healthly near the end of summer last year. I'm waiting anxiously for buds.
I like the conversations that the couple are having....
Nice shots Mary and great video, the Nuthatch looks much bigger than ours and a similar size to the woodpecker in the 1st shot, nice post. Mike.
Jessica: Thanks for stopping by! I just checked out one of your blogs....very nice! I'll be back.
Mike: Thanks! The White-breasted nuthatch is about 5-6 inches long. The downy woodpecker just a little bit bigger. We also have a red-breasted nuthatch that is much smaller...4 1/2 inches. You can see one on my right side bar with a goldfinch which is about the same size. Nuthatches are so much fun to watch, but when he starts slinging his head back and forth I can't keep up with him :-)
Post a Comment