Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hummingbirds at the Desert Museum!

Here are some Hummingbirds from the Desert Museum.




I believe this is a Costa's Hummingbird. I had never seen one before! Isn't that purple neck collar beautiful???
This is a hummingbirds nest.....about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and about the same in width. And here is the bird on it, but I have no idea which type of hummingbird it is!
The hummingbirds didn't seem bothered by the people and would zoom in and out and around you as you watched them. I thought one was going to land on my hand at one point and a lady with a pink hat on was being chased by another (it apparently thought she was a large flower). There was a bush with lovely orange flowers that they really liked. We got some "hovering" shots there.

I can't identify these that are sitting on the branch....they might be females of any of them. I would guess that they are Broad-Tailed Hummingbirds, but not sure.

10 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh my! Aren't they GORGEOUS!! You must really be enjoying yourself. You're seeing so many wonderful things!

Mary said...

Sandpiper: I'm having a great time and can't wait to go more places.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Never saw such a beautiful hummer!
WOW, it's stunning!
Thanks, Sandpiper.

me ann my camera said...

The pictures of the hummingbird and the red/orange flowers are absolutely beautiful!!! And I love the purple face!! And you even saw a hummingbird nest! I have been wanting to find one for years but never have. A lovely post.

Mike said...

Such stunning birds I would love to see one myself, I have only seen stuffed ones in the museum of Liverpool near where I live, but its not the same, I would never get tired of seeing these, beautiful. Mike.

Mary said...

Aunt B: Thank you! The purple certainly blew me away. I'm used to only seeing the Ruby-Throated.

Me and My Camera: I was excited about the nest,too! Now that I know what one looks like, maybe I can look more closely at home among our bushes. I don't even know if they nest where I live.

Mike: They are truly great little marvels of nature. Do you have any hummingbirds in Great Britain?

Melissa said...

while the hummers are great I want the tortoise! I love lizards, turtles, terrapins etc.! I like frogs and toads too! All great pics! Melissa

Mike said...

Hi Mary, Sadly not, any reports of sighting always turn out to be the hummingbird hawk moth.

NW Nature Nut said...

It looks like there is nature at every turn! I'd like to go back to Tucson at this time of year. I think the greenish hummer might be an Anna's. It sure looks like the kind we have here in Oregon. I've been enjoying the change of scenery through your recent posts!

Mary said...

Melissa: I love Dorothy's backyard...tortoise, bunnies, birds! Laura would love the bunnies...there were 7 out there when we got back from Sedona! Are you packed up yet? We head home tomorrow and Mike has a horrible day set for Monday at work....reality sets in again.

Mike: Hello! I'm behind on everyone's blogs but hope to catch up next week when I'm back home. I've only seen one hummer here in Dorothy's yard, but those ones at the Desert Museum really astonished me.

NW Nature's Nut: Glad you can identify it for me. With out the color at the throat, I just can't tell one from another! They do have Anna's here and I saw one in my sister's backyard. To me it looks just like the Ruby-Throat females that I have back home.