Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Heading to Tucson!

Tohono Chul Park

We leave later today to drive to St. Louis to catch a flight to Tucson tomorrow! I'll be posting from there this next week, but don't know how often. Looking forward to the sunshine! Tomorrow's post will be a family one.....a tribute to my mother whose birthday was March 20th. I will be posting it before I leave. See you from Tucson on the 21st! Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from a previous trip to Tucson.....both taken at Sabino Canyon.
One year we went to the Tucson Zoo and even though most of us like our birds in their natural setting, they had the most astonishing mixture of birds I'd ever seen in a zoo! Here are a couple examples. I can't believe how many different species there were in this one area!


Well....I need to go pack and do a million other last minute things, so farewell for now and see you from Tucson later in the week. My poor birds will have to starve for the next 10 days. My son will feed the cats, but he draws the line at filling bird feeders. He didn't inherit my devotion to bird watching :-) So, I'll fill every feeder to the top before I leave and maybe scatter a bit in the bushes and they will just have to go find other "bird nuts" to feed them while I am gone.

8 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh wow! I'm so excited for you (and envious), too!!! These pictures are wonderful. I've wanted to go there for a long time. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary said...

Thanks Sandpiper! With all this horrible rain we have at the moment, I can't wait to get out of town! Of course, I hear the Dallas airport was closed because of rain, and we are flying through Dallas, so keep your fingers crossed that we actually get there!

Jessica said...

Enjoy your vacation and take lots of photos. I'll be looking forward to what you capture.

We had rain yesterday in Michigan too but only drizzle all day. Nothing like you got!

Have a great time....

Mary said...

Jessica: Hello! I finally looked at today's paper, and it said 6 inches of rain so far with another 2-3 expected today (groan). I'm glad to be leaving, as long as it stays out of my house :-) I'll probably take more pictures in Tucson than I'll ever be able to post :-) Plus I'll be meeting my sisters and a nephew and his family there.

Melissa said...

Oh great, and it is dripping into the house I want to buy! Perfect! I hope you guys are able to get your flights okay and have a good time. I had never seen these pics. They are wonderful. So beautiful there and so different. See you soon, Me

Mary said...

Well the good news is that the drip in your new house was a small one and located in an unfinished area :-) And you can make them fix it. Think positive! By Thursday the rain will be gone and the sun out. Did you get more rain down in Tennessee?

me ann my camera said...

Mary, have a wonderful trip! And if you find any new birds as great as some of those you have posted today I'll be eagerly awaiting to see them on your posts from Tucson. Bon voyage!

Mary said...

Me and My Camera: Well, of course those last ones were all in a zoo, but I enjoy zoo animals as much as those in the wild. Some of us will never see them all in the wild :-) I need to start practicing all those long bird names that start with P....phainopepla and pyrrhuloxia! I'm glad our eastern birds aren't quite so long and complicated.