
You didn't think that I would ignore you in my blog, just because we are barely back from vacation, did you? This is a birthday tribute for my husband. The picture above says a lot :-) I married a "car nut". A 35 year member of the Sports Car Club of America.....avid autocrosser, one-time rallier, lover of Formula 1 races. This is a man who gives birthday parties for his favorite car.....his beloved Datsun 240Z. Really.....I'm not kidding. Here is a picture of the "birthday boy " on its 30th birthday, with its party hat and party favor and some of the "guests" who attended. (After all his friends are "car nuts" also, so it seemed perfectly normal to them)

I don't think that Mike will mind me concentrating on his cars for this post. They are his "babies". It all started in our married life with the Datsun, but when he got tired of autocrossing in stock classes, he decided to get into the mod classes and we gained first a Lotus and then a March for him to drive. For the uninitiated, an autocross is a timed run on a course laid out on parking lots or airports or available race tracks. It is against the clock, not head-to-head against other cars. It is refered to as a Solo II event in the Sports Car Club of America.



This picture was one year at the National Solo II runoffs in Topeka, Kansas. Mike drives for the fun of driving. It is his relaxation from the stress of work. He has finally gotten rid of the race cars.....too much work......and gone back to stock class in his VW GTI. He loves his GTI, but I know he misses the exhileration of the race cars :-) The Datsun is still with us but we didn't get to celebrate its 40th birthday due to other concerns....but I'm sure it will be around for a lot more birthdays :-)


......and so will its driver! Happy Birthday, Mike! I won't mention how OLD you are, because you still think young.

6 comments:
Happy Birthday, Mike! I'm sending this post to our oldest son and our nephew, who will both understand it perfectly.
Bruce: so you've lived with "car nuts", too? Hope they enjoy it.
Go Mike- Love that picture with the wheel off the ground. I'd love to take my supercharged Toyota Corolla to a track just a few times and see what it can really do!
Tom @ Ohio Nature
Tom: I bet there is a region of the SCCA near you where you can do just that. Mike's brother lives in Ohio and works races at Mid-Ohio. It's a lot of fun to autocross and doesn't require the huge investment of time and money that as in racing. Good weekend sport.
How nice! Happy Birthday, Mike! Great pictures, Mary. Welcome home!
Sandpiper: It's good to be back! I was surprised the spring hasn't advanced much while I was gone. I have one Forsythia blooming, a few daffodils starting, and more green stuff is poking through the ground. My birds are beginning to find out that the lady who feeds them is back, so they are slowly checking in. It's only in the 50's today.
Post a Comment