Desert Bluebell and Mexican Gold PoppyWe spent half the day today at the Desert Museum. http://www.desertmuseum.org/ Wonderful place! It is a "living museum", as they point out. It is full of the plants and animals and birds of the area. You wander along paths lined with cacti, wildflowers, trees, etc. and there is also a Hummingbird viewing area and an aviary and some animal exhibits. We went today mostly for wildflowers, cacti and birds. Mike and I both were shooting pics, so some are his and some mine. He is taller and can get better pics of some things than I can :-) I don't begin to know what to post!

Brittlebush
They had some rain last week so there are wildflowers along the road (especially the Brittlebush) , that are not easy to stop and photograph because of the narrow busy road with no shoulder areas. The drive there takes you through the Saguaro National Forest and we stopped at one overlook area to photograph some of the wildflowers.

Fairyduster



This is a Century Plant....Century Plants bloom only once in their life, the blooming spike is so large and grows so fast that it saps all the resources of the plant, which then dies, leaving a tall wooden seed stalk. The plant is called the "century plant" because of this "once a century" bloom (actually the plant lives an average of 25 years). 
This is a close-up of the flower of the Century Plant. It is a very strange plant......so tall!

This is a Yellow Grosbeak, that lives in Mexico and SE Arizona. Very striking! This was taken in the aviary at the museum. There were birds there that I probably would not see in the wild.Enough for now! I'll continue with hummingbirds and other stuff tomorrow!
8 comments:
The Desert Museum is my favorite place in Tucson. Unfortunately, when we were there, the hummingbird exhibit was closed, so I am looking forward to your pictures of it.
Wren: Hello! Yes, it truly is one of the neatest museums I've ever visited. I hope I don't disappoint with the hummingbirds! When were you there?
All so interesting! My favorite was the old men cacti--I must not have been there at the right time for them to have their beards. Looking forward to the hummers!
Good morning Bruce! Those cacti were definitely strange with their shaggy appearance! They were in a sort of secluded spot by the outdoor cafe area. We were looking at them, when the Wren showed up to find nesting material. Her nest was right around the corner. I'm not sure what type of cactus they are.
So many beautiful pictures of such different things, Mary! I love all the wildlife you're seeing and the pretty plants.
Hello Sandpiper! I love it too. I can't wait to go more places and see more stuff....although just sitting in my sister's back yard is fairly exciting with the birds, the turtles and bunnies :-) She has pictures of bobcats in her yard, but I've never seen one when we are here!
Oh, I just love cacti!! I grow a few, but they, naturally have to be indoors.
And the grosbeak is just a gorgeous bird. Love it, thanks.
Aunt B: I thought the grosbeak was beautiful, too. So colorful!
Post a Comment