Friday, March 21, 2008

Birds and bunnies and lizards.....

Cactus Wren posing between the ears

Until some of the company leaves tomorrow, we are pretty much staying at the house, but Dorothy has so much interesting wildlife there, that I have plenty to keep me busy! I don't have the program that I use to crop pictures, so some of these are not exactly the way I want them.
The Cactus Wren is so much bigger than my little Carolina Wren back home! About 8 1/2 inches long.....more like a big woodpecker! I seem to catch pics of his head....his back...his belly...but never a real good one of the whole bird.


The two Gila woodpeckers and the Cactus Wrens really like the suet. I see the Gilas come swooping in from the top of that tall Saguaro cactus next door and head for the backyard. There are numerous holes in the cactus and I figure one most be its home. They are very wary and I was surprised when both showed up together and one sort of "stood guard" while the other one ate the suet.

The Gila Woodpecker reminds me of both a Flicker and a Red-bellied. It has the black and white spotted looking back and wing feathers and tail, plus a yellow lower belly and the red spot on its head. The female doesn't have the red patch on the head. Very striking!

The Phainopepla like to sit high in the tree. Large black birds with a crest. I hope to see them closer eventually.


I spotted a Desert Spiny Lizard and managed to get some OK shots. It decided to pose right by the bunny, so that was cute :-) There are several bunnies that live in Dorothy's yard and they are out there sunning themselves at various times and eating the grass.




I suppose I should keep posting some of the flora each day, too. Once again, I'm trying to learn the cacti names. I may get some wrong :-)
I like this purple colored prickly pear cactus. I think the color really adds to the relativly drab colors of the other cacti and ground colors. It really is beautiful close up. There are assorted Agaves. I think this next picture might be one...or not. It is very skinny compared to the ones following it.

I saw Cardinals, House Finches, Doves....just like back home, but some of the House finches are more orangish or yellowish in color. If I get a good picture, I'll show one. Saw a thrasher of some sort briefly....much paler than my Brown Thrasher back home, but the same yellow eye. Well....enough for today! I'll probably post on a more varied schedule here...late at night or early before anyone else is up.

11 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Wow! You're seeing so many wonderful and different things, Mary. What fun! I love all of your pictures. Aren't the birds wonderful there?! What a cute picture of the bunny and lizard. The cactus plants are gorgeous.

me ann my camera said...

I am looking at all of your pictures with wonder! and envy too! The birds are all so totally different there and wonderful to see in your pictures, and the vegetation too, and the lizard and bunnies.. and the sunlight and temperatures must be so delightful!!!! See how I am enjoying your vacation too.

I shall check back to see what you have discovered another day.

Mary said...

Good morning Sandpiper and Me and My Camera! Yes, the weather is wonderful. Warm, sunny and not humid. It seems strange to me to see some of my common birds from back home mixed in with the "exotic" ones here. I haven't taken a lot of their pics, because I see them all the time. I've already been accused of "always having a camera in my hand"..I think everyone thinks it is a natural part of my body at this point :-)

Tom Arbour said...

Mary-

Great images, I've never seen any of these birds so thanks for sharing, and boy, is that cactus wren huge! I especially love the spiny lizard image. Lizards are great creatures, we just don't have many here in Ohio.

Tom

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for putting these up for us to enjoy. Except for the warm sunshine, it's almost like being there. I forgot to say yesterday that your great niece is adorable and matches your quilt nicely. See ya, Melissa

Mary said...

Thank you Tom and Melissa: That wren is definitely big and so lovely with all the striping and spots. It really looks more like thrashers then a wren. I hope to get more shots. I know nothing about lizards but my sister and I looked it up in a book and hopefully I identified it right. I don't see a lot of lizards in Indiana either. The southwest is so different from the midwest! I can't stop photographing the cute bunnies...I'll probably bore everyone with them each day :-)

Melissa: Yes, Bella is adorable and she and her parents go home today, so we have had a short but nice visit with them. We'll be getting out doing more this next week.

John Theberge said...

Thanks for the nice comments today, I liked your photos. I can't wait until we actually have some green outside around here but that won't be until May.

NW Nature Nut said...

Hi! I haven't stopped by for a while and was surprised to see Tuscon photos! I have visited there twice in the last couple of years and it was so fun to see the birds there. I love the quail photos. They are so darn cute!!

Mary said...

Hello Tom: It's always easy to say nice things about your blog! I hope spring begins coming for you soon.

Hello NW Nature Nut: I love the quail, too! I keep taking photos of them and just love watching them scurry around. I'll be here all week. I'm really fond of the cute bunnies in my sister's yard, too. I'll probably post one every day :-)Hopefully lots of other things, too.

Mike said...

Stunning shots Mary, great post. Mike.

Mary said...

Mike: Thank you!